Monday, September 12, 2011

Cast In Iron

Sorry, but I've got to boast.  Tonight I had the most DELICIOUS dinner and I attribute it to my cast-iron skillet.   The meal itself was really basic - marinated chicken breasts with peppers and onions and half an avocado.  Here's what made it so yummy:
  • The marinade I used was a packet of Buffalo seasoning combined with 1/4 cup cider vinegar and 1/4 cup water.  I had the chicken marinating in it for about three hours.
  • After pre-heating the skillet (with a spray of Pam to coat the surface), I seared the chicken on either side so it was nicely browned.
  • Once the chicken was on its way to being cooked, I filled the rest of the skillet with a frozen mixture of peppers and onions and covered it was a piece of aluminum foil.
  • I turned the chicken a couple of times while it was cooking, but basically let it cook on its own and let the liquid from the frozen veggies keep everything moist.
  • Once everything was all cooked and portioned out, I added my avocado to the bowl and chowed down.  YUM!
What I love about the cast-iron skillet is the ease of use.  A spritz of Pam and the cooking surface is good to go.  Clean-up is a breeze with the skillet as well - just a good scrubbing (with no soap) under hot water, followed by a rub-down with olive oil.  I had finished all my clean-up before dinner was ready to be eaten!

Protein/Fat Day:
  • Meal 1:
    • 3 egg whites
    • 1 whole egg
  • Meal 2:
    • 1/2 scoop protein powder in water
    • 2/3 oz almonds
  • Meal 3:
    • 4 oz lean meat
    • 1/2 avocado 
    • Peppers and onions
  • Meal 4:
    •  4 oz lean meat
    • 1/2 avocado
    • Peppers and onions
  • Meal 5:
    • 1/2 scoop protein powder
    • 3 tbsp peanut butter
Exercise: Hour-long session with trainer
Felt pretty strong and energized with the session.

Weigh-in: ~154
Happy that the weight continued to come down while out of town over the weekend.  More proof that eating clean and staying on plan does make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment