Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ten Years Later, Ten Years Better

This past week, my husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows in Las Vegas.  My trainer asked if I looked different now as compared to 10 years ago.  Honestly, I think I look much better now!  When we got married, I was 25 years old.  I don't remember exactly, but I probably weighed about 150+ and was wearing a size 10:


Compare that to now, at age 35, where I'm weighing about 145 (which is a bit fluffy for me now) and wearing a size 4:

The big difference? MUSCLES!  (Yes, the poofy dress does make me look larger, but I really was quite a bit bigger then.)  My weight is a bit lower right now but my body composition is so different!  There's better definition - in my arms, shoulders, and legs.  My collar bones are more noticeable, but not in a gaunt or emaciated way.  My face is still full but not doughy looking - I have cheekbones!

I still have my wedding dress, which I think was a size 14 (remember that wedding dress sizes are generally larger than "regular" clothing sizes, but I wasn't that far from a size 14).  It was preserved and is sealed up in a box, otherwise I would have tried it on for a comparison photo.  I know I still look "thick" at times (perhaps this is more my perception of myself as opposed to how I actually appear).  But there's a strength and a solidness to this.  I don't look soft of flabby.  When I look at my upper arms, I know I've got thick arms - but they're guns instead of wings.

When I look back at my wedding day, I wouldn't change a thing.   It reflected who I was at that time in my life. However, at that time in my life, I remember feeling insecure and uncomfortable with myself.  I made a lot of comparisons to other people, feeling as though I wasn't measuring up.  I certainly feel better about myself now, internally and externally.  I feel more confident and sure about myself.  I better know what I want to do and who I want to be.  It's not that my current size makes me feel better about myself.  Rather, I think it's an outward manifestation of how I feel internally.  And it's not just my lower weight but my enthusiasm, my energy, my confidence, and my comfort with myself.

I've grown and _________ (improved didn't seem right, developed didn't fit either, and matured or aged made me sound like wine, so pick your own word here) a lot over these past 10 years and I'm eager to see where I go over the next 10!

Food Log:
  • Meal 1
    • 3 egg whites
    • 50g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
  • Meal 2
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal3
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 4
    • 3oz Chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise: 
  • Time:  50 minutes on the elliptical (time crunch with needing to get into work)
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 4 for 20 minutes; Level 3 for 10 minutes; Level 2 for 10 minutes; Level 1 for 9 minutes 
  • Distance:  4+ miles
  • Average HR: Above 160, even with lowering the levels
  • Calories:  625+
Weigh-In: 150.6 / 149.7

No comments:

Post a Comment