Sunday, March 13, 2011

2011 - Week 10 In Review

(Yes, I'm moving my weekly review to Sunday.)
Week 10 was a challenge for me as I continued to struggle with being sick.  My overall stress-level was lower, in part because I was forced to take it easy with being sick.  The trip to Boston was a lot of fun and there were many lessons to be learned about traveling and eating clean.

Exercise
    • Days of Exercise: 0 (Zero?  Wow!)
    • Review:  This was a tough week for me physically.  I felt more sluggish, which could easily be a combination of being sick and not exercising.  With not exercising each day, I suddenly had more time available to take care of other things.  I think that contributed to feeling less stressed, as I had extra time to sleep in or to putter around the house.  On the flip side, however, I became even more aware of how I use exercise as a coping strategy for dealing with life's stressors.  There were a couple of times this week when I wish I had the energy to climb on the elliptical and pound away for an hour to release myself from the day's frustrations.
    • Goals: I already canceled my session with the trainer for tomorrow because I know I'm not going to be up to it.  I'm not going to make myself exercise when I'm not physically up to it.  Part of what I think exacerbated my illness in the first place was the Friday night workout last week.  This is an okay arrangement for me, given that my schedule is quite busy this week as well.  I want to take care of myself - being physically active is part of this, but so is being healthy.
  • Eating
    • Days of Clean Eating: 5 (Sun-Thurs)
    • Review:  I'm really proud of myself for eating clean the whole week, what with being sick and traveling.  In Boston, I ate clean for the first half of each day.  Here's the breakdown:
      • Friday:
        • 3 egg whites, oatmeal
        • salad w. 2 tbs salad dressing, 3oz chicken
        • light cheese, 1oz almonds
        • steak (quite disappointing)
        • mac-n-cheese, French onion soup (as I was still hungry after the steak)
        • a few cookies, tbs of peanut butter
      • Saturday:
        • 3 egg whites, oatmeal
        • apple, light cheese, 1oz almonds
        • grilled chicken sandwich w. bacon and cheese, french fries
        • slice of cake the size of my head
        • bruschetta, gnocchi (dinner in Little Italy)
        • hazelnut cannoli, chocolate creme brulee (dessert from Little Italy)
      • Sunday:
        • 3 egg whites, oatmeal
        • tomato soup, tandoori chicken sandwich, chips
        • candy, candy, candy - obviously I needed more calories in an attempt to get healthy and candy would be the way to do that.  I'm sure any physician would agree!
        • tbs of peanut butter
    • Goals:  My plan is to eat well, but not necessarily "clean" for the next week.  I've been wondering if part of why I haven't been getting better is because I've been eating strictly and perhaps not getting enough calories to help my body recover/heal.
  • Overall
    • Review:  An okay week, given everything that's been going on health-wise.  Here are a couple of lessons I've learned from this past week of sickness and travel:
      • "Hard-boiled eggs" aren't really hard.  They traveled well and were easy to have on hand for breakfast each morning.  I did learn that they would travel better in a hard container rather than a ziploc bag, as a few of them were squished in transit.  They were still edible and it's something I'll try again for the next trip.
      • Oatmeal travels well, tastes good cold, and is still one of my favorites.  A yummy treat to have each morning.
      • Requesting a fridge doesn't mean getting a fridge.  By the time we checked in, all the fridges had been given out.  There was a "beverage cooler" in the room, but it wasn't as cool as a regular fridge.  It was cool enough for most of the foods I brought, but not ideal.
      • The salad worked well for Thursday night (on the plane) and Friday afternoon.  While I had enough salad to eat for Saturday and Sunday as well, it didn't stay fresh enough in the "beverage cooler" for me to feel comfortable eating it.
      • Chopped veggies (peppers, cucumber, etc) will get squished at the bottom of a backpack if transported in a ziploc bag.  I hadn't wanted to use plastic containers for everything because of the space they'd take up, but it probably would have been a better idea.
      • My Water Bobble worked quite well.  I had filtered water for tea in the morning (using my travel mug), some Crystal Light on Friday, and drinking water throughout the weekend.  I still don't think I drank enough, but at least I was able to drink some.
    • Goals:  This week's goal will be to get healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment