Sunday, March 6, 2011

Non-Scale Victories (NSVs)

There's more to life than the number on the scale.  It's all to easy to focus in on that all-important number and lose track of the real, meaningful, tangible accomplishments in life.  I think a lot of emphasis is put on weight because it's seen as an objective, universal measure.  However, as I've discussed in previous posts, the number on the scale is by no means an accurate measure of progress/change, nor does it apply across situations or across people.  This is why I encourage people (myself included) to look for "Non-Scale Victories" in their lives - shifting the focus from the scale to other measures of accomplishments.  I try to remind myself of these accomplishments and milestones, especially when I feel like I'm struggling with the scale.  They help to keep life in perspective and to remind me of why I'm making these efforts in the first place.  Here are some of the NSVs that I've experienced over the years in my journey to lose weight and get fit:
  • A co-worker and some clients saying that I inspired them to lose weight
  • The tailor announcing that my pants were too big and that the waist needed to be brought in over 4 inches.
  • Improved strength and endurance - In the MIXX class I was flagged as one of the people who was expected to do Level 3 (the highest intensity for drills).  When I started the class, I felt as though I was going to die! (What a disappointment when they canceled that class!)
  • Clients stated I was “disappearing,” “whittling away,” and generally looking in shape. 
  • Jeans could be pulled down without undoing buttons (great in emergencies!) - Yes, I have no hips.
  • Making a healthier food choice because I actually want to eat it. Related to that, turning down "cheat" foods without feeling deprived.
  • My class ring and engagement ring fitting very loosely - I've had ring guards put on so they won't slide off. 
  • Knees aching less and working through the “morning after” tightness from a good workout
  • My husband describing me as “littler” and poking my hip bone (What’s that sticking out?)
  • One of the trainers (Irving) commented on how I had lost a “crazy amount of weight” since joining the gym, then coming over to congratulate me in person.  Cool!  (Then he called me a “hot mama” later that day!)
  • Being able to squat 225 pounds (over 1.5 times my body weight) with my trainer spotting me. 
  • At a body building competition, being asked by another spectator if I was a competitor or a fitness model.
  • Eating clean despite having tempting foods on hand in the house 
  • Being asked by others to help them move
  • Having an adolescent client announce "Dang, you've got guns!"
  • Fitting into my middle school gym t-shirt without looking like a sausage
Food Log:
  • Meal 1
    • 2 egg whites with red pepper, onion, and salsa
    • 40g oatmeal with cinnamon, vanilla, and a bit of Splenda
  • Meal 2
    • 1oz almonds
    • Light cheese
    • Apple
  • Meal 3
    • 3oz chicken 
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter 
Exercise:  None due to sickness (Hoping to be back in the swing of things tomorrow - I've got a session with the trainer scheduled for 9pm.)

Today's Weigh-In: 141.8 / 140.9

No comments:

Post a Comment