Thursday, March 17, 2011

Creating Goals

What does it take to create successful goals?  Do a search online online and you'll come across nearly 5.5 million sites all associated with "effective goal setting" (the Google search I ran).  Even with that many sites, they're all saying the same basic points.  Here's what it comes down to:
  • Make realistic goals.  It's difficult to reach them if they're not attainable to begin with!
  • Make goals that are a priority in your life.  I may have the goal of running a marathon, but if it's not really important to me, I'm not going to work at it.  If there's no reason for working toward these goals, chances are I'll let other things draw my attention away from these goals.  The best way to do this is to develop goals that are personally relevant.
  • Have a range of goals that are both immediate and distant.  The short-term goals help with more immediate successes that keep the motivation going for the longer-term goals.  And the more connected the short- and long-term goals are, the better.  They're all interconnected pieces that build on one another.
  • When setting these goals, make them specific and measurable.  The more concrete the better, because that's how you're able to tell if you're reaching them.  Abstract goals can be easily fudged or never attained.  
  • Operationalize the goals, by setting out the steps you're going to take toward reaching them. Specify these components in the same way as defining goals - specific and measurable.  What does "eating clean" mean?  How will it be implemented and how often? 
  • Tough but not too tough - If a goal's too easy, chances are it'll be dismissed.  Why put the time into something when it's a "gimme" accomplishment.  Similarly, if the goal's too challenging, it can just as easily be dismissed because it's an "impossible" accomplishment.  Finding that balance can be really difficult but it's important.
  • Construct goals so that they're positively phrased instead of negatively.  It may seem like semantics or a mind game, but it really can make a difference in how you feel about the goals and your efforts toward them.  "Don't gain weight" sounds more punishing than "Maintain current weight."  "Don't spend the weekend on the couch" is all-or-nothing versus "Do something physically active each day over the weekend" and I won't feel guilt if I spend a little time on the couch. 
  • What's the due date?  Set a deadline for achieving these goals, but make sure it's realistic.  Losing 20 pounds in 20 days isn't realistic, but in 4-5 months is definitely plausible.  That builds into the short-term and long-term definition.  Also, if an effort is interminable it can feel much more tedious and burdensome and increase the likelihood of burnout.  Each mini-deadline can build on the last;  while you're never really done you're, you're not overwhelmed by the scope of it all.
  • Once these goals have been identified, write them down!  That makes them even more concrete.  Have them visible and post them somewhere.  This serves as a regular reminder of what you're working toward.
  • Assess, reassess, and reassess again - Things are always changing.  Goals may become outdated.  Strategies may not be effective.  New supports or approaches may become available.
  • Support yourself!  I'm not just talking about finding the right sports bra or sneakers here.  Social supports are an integral part of self-care and motivation.  I've found support in so many different areas of my life and I'm amazed at how, without intending to, they often carry over to my dietary and fitness efforts
  • Work in rewards, both for the efforts and the accomplishments.  While I "should" be working toward these goals because they are inherently rewarding, that's not always enough.  I love my job, but I'm not willing to do it for free.  Similarly, why should I work toward these goals for "free"?  I do try to identify non-food rewards, since foods would probably undermine my progress toward goals. Just like with the goals, it's helpful to write out the rewards.  When we were kids, rewards came more easily because they were delivered by the adults in our lives.  Now, as the delivering adult, it's easier to say that I don't really deserve the reward (because it's what I should have been doing all along) or to just go ahead and give myself the reward without fully "earning" it because it's my money/time/etc. and I'm not going to let some arbitrary plan be the boss of me.

Food Log:

  • Meal 1
    • Bagel with peanut butter
  • Meal 2
    • Tomato soup
    • Pita chips
  • Meal 3
    • 2 crispy granola bars
    • Mixed nuts
    • Light cheese
  • Meal 4
    • Curried lentil soup
    • Perogi
    • M&Ms

No comments:

Post a Comment