Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Personal Measure Of Progress

There are so many ways that one can measure progress toward a particular goal.  When those goals are specific, measurable, and concrete, it can be easier to determine if you're getting closer to meeting them.  When these goals have been operationalized, it can be as straight forward as checking off each step as it's accomplished.

While I may use the scale or the size of my clothes as a way of gauging my progress, I know these are incredibly fickle and unreliable.  Clothing sizes vary between manufactures and even within one maker of clothes.  The scale shows a number but that doesn't represent changes in body mass, "time of the month" or other hormonal influences, water retention from a salty meal, or many other variables.

When I'm looking for ways to assess my progress, I do look at my specific goals, the scale, and the fit of my clothes.  In addition to these factors, I've identified a few personal measures that are unique to me.

In 1984, I had my appendix removed.  It was an emergency surgery, as I was misdiagnosed with food poisoning or some kind of stomach bug.  Because of this (and my body's natural tendency to develop keloids), I have a 3-inch scar across the right side of my abdomen.  How is this a gauge of my efforts?  When my weight is down, my stomach is smoother and the presence of the scar is less noticeable.  When my weight is up, I get an "overhang" of stomach protruding over the scar.  It's not dramatic, but it's enough of a bump for me to notice it when I'm standing or when I'm wearing clothes that fit close to my body.  I do tend to carry most of my excess weight in my abdomen, so it's not surprising that this scar is a means for monitoring changes in my weight.

My other gauge is probably pretty standard for women - chest size.  When my weight fluctuates, so does my bra size.  At my heaviest, I was a 36C but probably should have worn a 38B.  Now I'm solidly in the 34A range.  When I'm at my lowest weight, I'm a "less-than" 34A though not in the 32 range.  I'm impressed with how easily my chest size can change.  Actually, I've held onto my various sizes of bras in the off chance that I fluctuate up again - I'm thinking as a result of pregnancy, not overall weight gain.

So where do I stand?  My "overhang" is less pronounced than it has been but still more substantial than it was when I was 10 pounds lighter.  I wouldn't say that my cups runneth over, but my 34A bras are definitely full.  Also, over the weekend, I noticed a little bit of a back-roll with my bra - not substantial and it might have been because of the particular bra or the top I was wearing with it.  But I am conscious of how my body's looking and how my clothes are fitting.

Food Log
  • Meal 1  
    • 2 egg whites with onion
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2 
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans 
  • Meal 3
    • 3oz chicken
    • Salad
    • 2 tablespoons light salad dressing
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise:
  • Time:  Elliptical for 50 minutes
  • Level:  Level 1
  • Calories: ~450
 
Today's Weigh-In:  149.4

No comments:

Post a Comment