Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Importance of Support

I don't think it's possible to underestimate the importance of a supportive environment.  Human beings are, by nature, social creatures.  Feeling connected to and understood by others can be incredibly powerful.  It can help reinforce individual focus on personal goals and drive motivation for pursuing these goals.

Support is different from reassurance and the two shouldn't be confused.  Reassurance is designed to make immediate discomfort go away, by saying the "right" thing to placate or to quell worries.  "Make me feel better."  But that reassurance if often only temporary.  Support, however, is really focused on caring on a larger scale.  It may involve saying things that the other person doesn't want to hear.  Creating a supportive environment is encouraging someone to grow.  It's providing a scaffolding that facilitates someone's reaching greater goals.

There are numerous sources of support, and it's not always where you'd expect to find it.  Sometimes the people you think would be the most supportive aren't, and those you wouldn't typically turn to are the ones who really step up to the plate.  When considering the connections around me, I realize that it reaches further than my friends and family.  There are people that I interact with the gym - and I probably don't even know their names.  There are online communities of people that share the same interests and pursuits.  Supports can even include books, magazines, and websites that can be reinforcing as well as educating.

Sometimes I may be concerned that I'm overly reliant on other people.  While support is important, it can't take the place of personal substance.  To continue with the scaffolding analogy, the scaffolding doesn't stand on it's own but rather grows up around the building and allows it to reach greater heights.  The scaffolding is nothing without the building and the building ultimately has to rely on its own foundation and structural integrity.  Simply put, I want to make sure I'm the strongest, most solid, and tallest building I can be.

Just as supports are very important, unsupportive elements are equally important in how they can undermine one's structural integrity.  While it can be tough to do at times, it's okay to cut out those in your life that aren't supportive.  This doesn't necessarily mean ending those relationships, but rather limiting their influence in your life.  I've made the choice to not broach certain topics with specific people because I know that they're not going to provide the support or understanding that I'm looking for.

There is a give and take of supports.  Just as I turn to others for support, I also aim to be a support to others.  I try to be understanding of the circumstances and challenges that others may face.  I don't want to impose my opinions or be perceived as judgemental/critical.  Every interaction is an opportunity to support and to be supported.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1
    • 2 egg whites with red pepper, onion, and salsa
    • 40g oatmeal with cinnamon, vanilla, and a bit of Splenda
  • Meal 2
    • 1oz almonds
    • Light cheese
    • Apple
  • Meal 3
    • 3oz chicken 
    • Salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing 
    • 40g oatmeal
    • 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (a little extra treat there!) 
Exercise:  None (STILL!) due to continued recovery from sickness.  I crashed after work today, driving home that I'm not all there yet.

Today's Weigh-In: 142.3 / 142.2

No comments:

Post a Comment