Sunday, April 17, 2011

2011 - Week 15 In Review

Fifteen weeks into 2011?  Wow!  This year is flying by!  All in all, I'd say that it was a good week, though there were some rough patches in there for me.  Regardless of the ups and downs, it definitely ended on more of an up and I'm feeling energized about the directions I'm headed in.

Exercise:  I'm continuing to improve!  I got 5 of my 6 days of exercise in this week - 4 days of cardio and 1 day of strength training.  I had planned on a 5th day of cardio on Friday, but after the upsetting appointment and working myself up into having a migraine, I physically couldn't handle the exercise.  I tried to compensate for it a bit by doing some extra cardio yesterday and I think I was generally on-point with my total calorie burn.  I'm not beating myself up over taking Friday off - it is what it is.  When I did exercise, I noted further gains in my endurance, being able to take it to a higher resistance level or continue for a longer period of time.  With strength training, I still feel a bit weaker than I'd like to but I'm noticing that I'm continuing to make gains there as well. 


With the up-coming week, I'm not necessarily going to get 6 workouts in over the 7 days.  I've been asked to not exercise tomorrow, as I'm doing ANOTHER 24-hour urine collection for the kidney doctors.  (The reason being that exercising encourages me to drink more and there's the concern that my high level of fluid intake could possibly be masking issues by diluting my urine output.)  Then Wednesday is a 12-hour workday.  I'm toying with the idea of doing two workouts in a single day, depending on how I feel.  I'm toying with the idea of cardio on Thursday morning and lifting with my husband that evening, but we'll see what we're up for.  I've got options, and even if I don't get 6 workouts in there, I can make sure I've got 5 quality ones under my belt.

Food:  A continuation of my eating clean, with the exception of this afternoon/evening.  I planned for a cheat with going to the ballpark, as I've outlined below.  I gave myself a bit more of a cheat because I know I'm back on a more restricted plan tomorrow and I won't have a cheat for two weeks.  It also was my first trip to the ballpark this season, and what better way to kick off the season than with a bunch of deep-fried stuff?  I know, I know, but indulge me a little here.  There really aren't any healthy options and it was a double-header so I was at the stadium for almost 6 hours.  For regular games, I can make do with what I smuggle into the stadium or plan my eating for immediately before and after the game with a bathtub of Diet Coke to see me through.


Starting tomorrow, I'm following a new meal plan that my trainer's wife (and my friend) put together for me.  She's currently prepping for some competitions this summer, is very well educated about food, knows a lot about what works and doesn't work, and knows my circumstances.  My big lesson learned: Be careful when asking someone in "prep mode" to put together a meal plan for you.  You'll get an awesome plan, but you won't get ANY sympathy.  I asked if I could have a cheat of a Cadbury's Creme Egg at the end of the first week and was out-and-out told no.  I could save it, it wouldn't go bad, and I could eat it after two weeks.  She then told her husband, my trainer, that I was asking for my Creme Egg and he graciously offered to eat it for me (but only after giving me a hard time about it).

I'll give a run-down of the new plan (and my take on it) tomorrow as I give it a try.

Overall:  I'm happy with myself and my efforts.  I definitely have been feeling a greater sense of control or ownership over the whole kidney situation.  I'm infinitely proud of myself for not going on an emotional binge after the mess on Friday with the nutritionist, and believe me the urge was there.   I didn't let it pull me off track and I didn't let it drag me down.  Rather, it left me feeling more driven to figure things out for myself!  I want to continue advocating for myself, especially in relation to how I'm feeding my body (in all meanings of the word).  I'm going to work with the plan that my trainer's wife put together.  I'm also going to pursue a consultation with a sports nutritionist (having identified a couple over the weekend).  It may take more time and energy on my part, but I'm worth the effort!


Food Log
  • Meal 1  
    • 2 egg whites
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2  (CHEAT at the ballpark)
    • 3 chicken tenders
    • French fries
    • Onion petals
    • Funnel cake
  • Meal 3
    • 1oz almonds
    • Light cheese
    • 3oz chicken
  • Meal 4
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter
  • CHEAT
    • Cadbury's Creme Egg
    • Whoppers
Exercise:
  • Time:  1-hour total body workout with trainer 
  • Calories:  400+

Today's Weigh-In:  148.9 / 148.6

No comments:

Post a Comment