Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Power Of One Comment

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Really?  Never underestimate the power of words.  They can be incredibly empowering or incredibly damaging, and often others don't have an appreciation of the impact that their words have.

Criticisms have a way of sticking.  It's like my brain is flypaper and those negative statements get trapped.  Once they're heard, my brain can replay them like a loop.  While they're just words, the harsh ones always seem to be more powerful than any compliment or praise.  Years later, I'll find myself recalling things, of course reinforcing a negative mood and a negative view of myself.  Even when I know they're not accurate or valid, my brain treats them as real.  I have difficulty over-riding the distortions and filtering them.

I'm doing better with letting go of the negative comments and reminding myself of the positive ones.  Last March, I was walking with a group of friends.  One friend was talking about our doing something (honestly, I can't remember what) and made reference to "even someone as tiny as" me.  Really?  Me?  Tiny?  Awesome!  Then, in August, I attended a body-building/figure competition where my trainer, his wife, and some other friends were competing.  I was standing in the back and someone asked if I was a figure competitor or a fitness model.  I don't know if he was flirting with me or genuinely asking - either way I was incredibly flattered!  I may not be in "tiny competition mode" right now, but I remind myself that I've been there before, I can be there again, and it feels good to remind myself of how I felt when I heard those comments.  Those are the things I want to get stuck in my flypaper of a brain!

Today, I started my day off with struggles and more of those negative thoughts floating into my head.  I'm frustrated with the scale's continued creep upwards, despite my efforts to eat clean and continue exercising.  My husband's simple question asking if I was all right was enough to help me feel a bit better and put things in perspective.  I told him how annoyed I was and that, if my weight was going up, why couldn't I have it be due to my enjoying cookies instead of eating salad?  Just his chuckle and his hug were a reminder of why I'm making these choices.  Then, less than an hour later, I received this direct message from Tosca Reno via Twitter:

"A lot of folks struggle with the fear of success thing. You are doing so well. Small steps. "

What wonderful timing!  Just when I was feeling down and wanting to throw in towel, I got this wonderful support and encouragement from those around me!  Every day, I'm working at channeling those positive voices and reminding myself of my strengths.  Sometimes are easier than others.  It can take an intentional effort on my part, but I'm doing better at pulling myself out of the negative funk and refocusing on my "good stuff" and achievements.  As an old co-worker of mine used to say, "It's a beautiful thing."  (And just thinking of that brings a smile to my face.)

Don't be surprised when your words touch someone else - you can't underestimate the power of one comment.

Food Log
  • Meal 1  
    • 2 egg whites
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2 
    • 3oz chicken
    • Salad
    • 2 tablespoons light salad dressing
  • Meal 3
    • 1oz almonds
    • Light cheese
    • Grapple (an apple that tastes like grapes - weird but yummy)
  • Meal 4
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 2 tablespoons light salad dressing
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise:  None - planned
Today's Weigh-In:  151.2 / 150.2

No comments:

Post a Comment