Friday, April 22, 2011

Handling Disappointment

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire, the size of your dream, and how you handle disappointment along the way."
- Robert Kiyosaki

Life isn't perfect.  It doesn't always follow our plans or meet our expectations.  Sometimes it can really throw us for a loop and leave us scratching out heads.  While life is generally going pretty well for me, I know that there are always going to be disappointments in some form or another.  That's just the nature of life.  I don't live my life expecting to be disappointed - that would just be too depressing! - but that doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand either.  I try to be prepared, but it's never possible to always be prepared (no matter what the boy scouts say). 

The toughest thing is when I disappoint myself.  Being a perfectionist (which I readily admit and occasionally take pride in), it's inevitable that my efforts will fall short of my aspirations.  Desire and dreams aren't enough, otherwise we'd all be successful before we even get out of bed in the morning.  There needs to be action that builds on these drives, and with every action there is the potential for being let down.  Without taking risks there can be no successes.

Even when I find myself disappointed, I try to find something that I can learn or gain.  What's the point of being let down if you don't figure out how to get back up from it or to protect myself from getting let down again?

(I think the fact that I've now got Chumbawamba's lyrics running through my head is a sign that this thought process has run it's course and it's time for me to go to bed!)

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  48 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 4 for 45 minutes; Level 1 for 2 minute
  • Calories: 600+
  • Average HR:  162
  • Distance:  4+ miles

Weigh-In:  146.8 / 146.4

No comments:

Post a Comment