Saturday, April 23, 2011

Holding My Tongue

Sometimes it's just easier to not say anything.  Other people want to talk and make their points.  A conversation or discussion turns into an argument, frustration, or hurt feelings.  There are times when it's just not worth it.

I'm very open about my exercising and eating routines.  I'm happy to explain to people the hows and whys of it, and I really only do this when I'm asked about it.  But don't ask me if you don't want to hear what I have to say.  I get so irritated when I'm asked a question but then I'm not listened to when I give a response.  It can feel like the question was asked solely as an opening to challenge or rebut.

Everyone comes from their own perspective and it can be hard to understand others' perspectives (though there are times when I'm truly astounded by how narrow-minded some people can be!).  Also, it's not uncommon to make assumptions about what other people think.  People tend to assume similarities based on other commonalities ("in group").  Example: We both exercise and lift weights, therefore our workouts and our levels of exertion are comparable.  The tendency to generalize can work in the other direction as well - if we disagree in one area then obviously we disagree in other areas as well.  Example:  [Okay, I'm blanking on a fitness-related example but I'm sure that one exists.]

There's no one way to look at things and I believe that hearing about other perspectives can be very beneficial.  Through talking with others about their views, I can learn new information - food options, exercise routines, ways of conceptualizing goals.  It can be challenging to try to think about things differently, even if I don't agree with those takes.  If nothing else, it can help me to further clarify my own view on things. 

It is possible to have discussions that remain respectful and don't escalate to arguments.  However, if I feel it's heading in that direction, I'd rather withdraw from the interaction.  I may do that by changing the subject, smiling and nodding while not volunteering to say anything else, or even physically leaving the space.

What I'm doing works for me.  It doesn't work for everyone.  Other people have things that work for them.  They wouldn't necessarily work for me.  Please don't try to convince me that I should be doing what you're doing.  I don't proselytize and I would ask that others do the same.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4 (homemade Indian food, modified to be clean):
    • 3 oz chicken cooked with tomatoes, peas, onions, garlic, and a lot of spices
    • Leeks and onions
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  61 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 2 for 59 minutes; Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Calories:725+
  • Average HR:  157
  • Distance:  5 miles

Weigh-In:  146.4 / 145.9

No comments:

Post a Comment