Monday, April 25, 2011

The Power of Massage

Every other Monday evening, I head on over to Massage Envy for a 60-minute massage.  It's an incredible way to take care of myself after Sunday's weight-lifting.  Research shows that regular massages can help with the body's recovery, as well as increase muscle tone and flexibility.  Massage also increases circulation which helps the body eliminate metabolic wastes that are generated during the muscle-breakdown of weight lifting.

I've noticed how massage also helps me to be more in touch with my body, which relates to the increased awareness of my body through my exercise and eating.  Massage helps me better notice where I'm carrying tension in my body.  I'm focusing on relaxation, both during the massage and between appointments.  The massage table sometimes has a heating pad on it, and I've taken to using one at home when my muscles feel tight.  A friend of mine used to be very uncomfortable with massages and would actually keep her underwear on for the massage.  Over time, she's still not really  more comfortable with the idea of being touched but is definitely appreciative of the benefits of massage.  My husband has never had a massage and resists the idea of having one.  I try to tell him what he's missing out on, but I don't think he'll come around to it.  Perhaps if I suggested a couple's massage?  Meanwhile, I'll just use whatever massage gift certificates come his way.

I'd like to say I've never had a massage I didn't like, but unfortunately that's not the case.  There was one massage that stands out in my memory that was particularly horrible, but I definitely learned from it.  Here are my guidelines to help increase the likelihood of a rewarding massage experience:
  • Be specific about what you want to focus on.  When asked about target areas, I told her that I carried most of my muscle tension in my shoulders.  She then proceeded to focus on nothing but my shoulders and upper back for the entire session.  Now, I let the massage therapist know what muscle groups are particularly sore/tight but I also emphasize that I would like a total body massage.
  • Discourage excessive talking.  Throughout the entire massage, she talked to me.  In fact, she even went as far as to (playfully?) reprimand me for not stretching enough and shook my head by the ponytail.  I try to not talk once I'm face-down on the table.  I'll acknowledge questions with a "mmm-hmmm" or one-word answers if I can.  This can be tough, especially when I see the same massage therapist on a regular basis and we get to talking, but we get into a rhythm of talking before and after the massage but not during.
  • Speak up about what feels good and what doesn't.  I know this sounds odd, but given my perfectionism, I also want to be the perfect massage client.  So, historically, I haven't spoken up when a massage hasn't felt right.  Nowadays, I'll say that I want a firm touch and I'll point out if it's too firm or not firm enough.  But keep in mind that it's okay to experience some muscular discomfort during the massage, especially when it's a deeper massage, but this isn't the same as pain.
  • Be aware of what you're comfortable with.  Today I had my first massage with a male massage therapist.  I was perfectly comfortable with this, though I know some females might not be.  Actually, I was very impressed with his precision with moving the sheets so there was no chance that I'd be exposed.  He also let me know where he was, moving around the room, by keeping in contact with me so I wouldn't be surprised.  It sort of reminded me of how people are taught to move around horses, which almost got me giggling, but it was certainly appreciated.  The other massage experience that people may not be comfortable with, but I LOVE, is the glute massage.  All too often, massage therapists may avoid massaging someone's butt because it's definitely a more intimate body part, but please ask me if it's okay with me and I'll say YES!
  • Dress comfortably.  I go to my massage dressed in my pajamas or lounge clothes.  It helps me to continue feeling relaxed when I leave the massage.  I don't have to deal with confining waistbands or constricting clothes.  Plus, I can then head home and get straight into bed.  I'm all about perpetuating the relaxation for as long as I can!
Massage is fabulous way to reward myself for all my efforts.  Not only is it a great way of caring for myself, but it recognizes my other attempts at self-care.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans, onions, leeks
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% plain Chobani Greek Yogurt with cinnamon, vanilla, and Splenda added (YUM!)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  60 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 4 for 58 minutes; Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Calories:  725+
  • Average HR:  156
  • Max HR:  167
  • Distance:  5.1 miles

Weigh-In:  147.3 / 146.7

No comments:

Post a Comment