Friday, April 8, 2011

Hydration

At yesterday's appointment with the nephrologist, the doctor said that it was important that I keep my fluid intake up.  Staying sufficiently hydrated would help keep things flowing through my kidneys and help prevent the build-up of "sediment" that could contribute to the development of stones.  When he asked if I was drinking enough, I couldn't help but chuckle.  Am I drinking enough?  Please!

The general guideline is 8 8oz glasses of water each day.  I remember Oprah suggesting that a person was properly hydrated when they went to the bathroom and their urine looked like "one lemon lemonade" however you would quantify that, but that can be influenced by medications or foods that have been ingested.  The doctor gave another guideline - clearing 2 liters (2000cc) of urine a day, but that's a slightly higher guideline due to the kidney concerns.

It is possible to drink too much water.  Imagine a garden.  Without enough water, the grass and flowers die.  With too much water, the grass and flowers still die.  With people, there are consequences of too much water as well.  Trying to process large amounts of fluids can do structural damage to the kidneys  and the circulatory system (like wear-and-tear on a hose that continuously runs under pressure).  Too much water can lead to an imbalance of electrolytes and a swelling of cells as they try to restore this balance.  While this may not sound like a big deal, remember that cells are the body's building blocks.  When the cells in the brain swell, the skull limits how far the brain can expand.  There can be headaches, difficulty breathing, even disorientation and death.

When considering the sources of water, it goes beyond regular flat water.  Don't forget the liquid in fruits and vegetables, beans, and higher fiber foods which generally have a higher water content.  Steer clear of the foods that work against hydration efforts, like those higher in sodium, and don't count those drinks that dehydrate you, like beverages with caffeine, alcohol, or sugar.

I aim to drink about a gallon a day, and I mix in a packet of Crystal Light so that it's diluted but still somewhat flavored.  I don't count the tea or soda that I drink during the course of the day as part of my fluid intake.  So I produce upwards of 6 liters (6000cc) of urine a day.  The doctor checked my clearance and there was no concern about my electrolytes being imbalanced.

I don't have to drink as much as I do.  So why do I?  When I'm exercising more intensely, I need the extra water to stay hydrated.  When I'm eating less, I drink to ward off hunger.  When I'm bored or tired, I drink to stay awake and focused.  I also use it as an excuse to leave boring meetings by taking a brief bathroom break (shhh, don't tell anyone).  I carry around a gallon-sized jug most of the time, along with a large cup.  When I don't have my fluids on me, I feel like I'm missing something!

For more on water, the Mayo Clinic has some good information and resources.

Food Log
  • Meal 1  
    • 2 egg whites
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2 
    • 3oz chicken
    • Salad
    • 2 tablespoons light salad dressing
  • Meal 3
    • 1oz almonds
    • Light cheese
    • Apple
  • Meal 4 (Cheat at Indian restaurant with husband and friend)
    • Meat samosa
    • Chicken Makhani
    • Rice
    • Naan
    • Skinny Cow ice cream cone
Exercise:
  • Time:  60 minutes on the elliptical (30min in the morning, 30min in the evening)
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute, Level 2 for 28 minutes, Level 1 for 1 minute;  Level 1 for 1 minute, Level 2 for 29 minutes
  • Calories:  750+ 
Today's Weigh-In:  149.1 / 149.0

No comments:

Post a Comment