Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Has Sprung

 I've noticed a boost in my mood and energy over the past few days and I'm liking it!  Spring is in the air.  It's still light outside when I leave work at the end of the day - which has a big impact, considering my office has no windows.  I've got the itch to do home improvement projects and have even gotten outside to do some yardwork already.  Baseball is back - both major league and our local minor league.   Across the board, life is good! 

It's not uncommon for there to be a boost in mood and energy with the onset of spring.  After all, consider Seasonal Affective Disorder and the onset of depressive symptoms as related to winter weather and limited exposure to sunlight.  But I'm certain there are other contributing factors that are at play here.

I've been over my "plague" for some time now, and being healthy makes a significant difference in how I feel about things.  I'm also caught up (finally!) with everything that I put off doing while I was sick.  I don't think I fully appreciated how overwhelmed I felt by this giant list of tasks, obligations, and responsibilities that I was carrying around.  Over the past two weeks, I had the time and energy to sit down and really tackle this list.  While there's always going to be things that need to be done, it's down to a much more manageable size.  It's almost like I've lost weight with each item that's been checked off - I definitely feel lighter!

I think my improved sense of control and autonomy over my nutritional plan is a HUGE piece.  After feeling "beaten down" for the last few months (especially with last Friday's fiasco), I was delighted to make the choice about how I wanted to eat for myself.  I'm feeling empowered about my food and that pumps me up!  Eating doesn't feel like a prison sentence any longer.  Related to this, there's the possibility that I'm feeling more energized because I'm doing a better job of fueling my body and giving it what it needs.

I'm also feeling better understood and supported by those around me.  In part, I've been seeking out people who are going to be able to help me meet my needs.  The doctors at Johns Hopkins, my trainer and his wife, a registered dietitian who specializes in sports nutrition (appointment scheduled for next Thursday), and, of course, my husband. 

I'm not quite sure where it's coming from, but I won't complain!

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:  None (Planned)

Weigh-In:  149.0 / 148.6

No comments:

Post a Comment