Sunday, April 24, 2011

2011 - Week 16 In Review

It's Easter and I'm keeping it clean - my Cadbury's Creme Egg is safely stored in the pantry, waiting for me to indulge next weekend with my "2nd Week Cheat" (planned).  It's been a week on my new plan and things are going well! 

Exercise:  I got 5 of my 6 days of exercise in this week - 4 days of cardio and 1 day of strength training.  I didn't exercise on Monday because the doctor asked me not to exercise while doing my 24-hour collection.  He thought I would drink less (and consequently produce less), but that wasn't the case at all.  Next time I do a collection, I won't hold off on the exercise.  I'm just a "high-volume patient" and that's the way it is.   On the days that I did do my cardio, I felt good and solid on the elliptical, though I was working through a bit of soreness.  Today was a good strength-training workout.  My weights are coming back up again and I'm feeling stronger.  True, I'm wiped out and fell asleep on the floor this afternoon, but it's a good kind of worked-over feeling. 

For the upcoming week, I know I'll be able to get 4 days of cardio in but that the 5th day will be a struggle.  Wednesday is another long day at work and I'm booked on Saturday all day long.  I may try to push myself for an early-morning workout, but I am SO not a morning person that I may cut myself some slack and see about extending my other workouts to compensate.

Food:  The new meal plan is working really well for me.  I'm not feeling starved.  When I feel hungry, it's generally time for the next meal (or a sign that I've lost track of time and it's way past time for the next meal).  Sometimes, by the end of the night, I'm not really hungry for the second yogurt.  I sit down and eat it anyways because I know I'll probably wake up hungry in the middle of the night.  Also, it's part of my overall daily needs and I want to make sure I'm not short-changing myself.  The protein, fats, and carbs are worked into my caloric intake and not getting enough can work against me, just as getting too much can.

I was really happy with being able to cook a nice dinner for my in-laws and still keep it clean for myself.  The recipe I worked from was for Keema Kari, an Indian curry dish.  The ingredients included were: 
  • Oil (I used Pam in my pot and then added the coconut oil at the end)
  • Onion
  • Ginger
  • Garlic
  • Turmeric
  • Ground Beef (I used my 3oz of chicken, finely chopped)
  • Tomato
  • Green Peas
  • Garam Masala
So with my modifications, it was kept clean and still incredibly yummy.  I did the same with the onions and leeks, using Pam instead of oil and adding water to the skillet to help soften them.  Again, all clean and still delicious.  It got me thinking that on the weekends I might try further adaptations for dinners.  That way, I'll be adding extra flavors and trying new things without going straight to cheat meals.  During the week, I don't know if I'll have the time or energy for the additional food prep.  Besides, I'm happy with the food routine and generally don't mind eating the same thing each day. 

With this week, I don't anticipate any difficulties during the week.  Saturday will possibly be a cheat day and will definitely take some planning.  I'm at work from 10-2, which will be fine for me.  After that, I'm going to a friend's house for afternoon tea and games.  I know she makes DELICIOUS foods and that there will be plenty of food on hand.  I'm planning on bringing my own food, aiming to eat clean, enjoying tea, and possibly having a small nibble.  After tea, I'm headed to the ballpark and more challenges.  Again, I'll have my own food on me and will try to bring (smuggle) it into the game.  My trainer's suggestion was to eat right before and right after the game, which I may try depending on the timing.

On Thursday, I have an initial meeting with a sports nutritionist.  From that appointment, I'll see what fine-tuning (if any) my meal plan needs.  As I discussed with my trainer's wife this morning,  I'm really happy with the plan that she wrote-up for me but want to have a dietitian lay eyes on it.  My hope is that the dietitian won't recommend any significant changes, though my trainer's wife warned that I may be encouraged to reduce my fats and increase my carbs.

Overall:  Life seems to be clicking again.  I'm feeling good, both emotionally and physically.  I've got energy.  I'm physically able to do the things I want to do.  I'm well-fed and liking what I'm eating.  I'm more comfortable in my skin and my clothes.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Peppers and onion
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  1 hour total body workout with trainer
  • Calories: 425+
  • Average HR:  117

Weigh-In:  147.0 / 145.9

No comments:

Post a Comment