Saturday, April 30, 2011

Preparation Pays Off

Today I was out of the house from 9:30am until 11:30pm.  I was at the office in the morning, then at a friend's house for the afternoon, and the ballpark all evening.  Despite driving all over the place and doing a bunch of different stuff, I managed to stick to my plan and eat clean the whole day.  Maybe I'm tooting my horn a little, but I'm really happy with the  choices I made today.

My friend put together afternoon tea for a group of us and her food is DELICIOUS!  I let her know in advance that I was probably eating clean for the day and wouldn't be indulging too much in her munchies.  She knows of my efforts and is really easy-going about it.  Also, I brought a friend with me who agreed to eat my share.  I had my Greek yogurt on hand so I had something to eat at the table and I tanked up on tea.  Of course, I love my tea!  And everyone mostly sat around drinking tea so there wasn't any pressure for me to eat the sandwiches or cookies.  I think one person maybe asked if I was going to have a sandwich but that was it.  I really enjoyed everyone's company, which was the real focus of the afternoon.

After tea, I headed to the ballpark for our Saturday night game.  While driving over there, I ate my lunch.  The timing worked out well with leaving the tea and when I was starting to get hungry.  I didn't bother with trying to bring any food into the ballpark (though I had dinner in the car just in case).  During the game, I did get my Diet Coke.  That was more than enough to keep me happy and satiated - I didn't even finish it!  When I got home at 11:30, I pulled out my dinner.  Again, the timing was just right as I was starting to get hungry again.  In a little while, I'll have my yogurt before heading off to bed.

I think last night's preparation had a lot to do with my being successful today.  I portioned out my lunch like I usually do during the week.  I use the Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Divided Dish for my lunches - the smaller sections are perfect for the chicken and rice and I fill up the large section with vegetables.  That fits in the bottom of my lunch bag.  I put the yogurt on top.  I portioned out my dinner as well, just in case I wasn't home in time and found myself getting hungry.  I also had a diet soda and some no-calorie drinks thrown in there.  This morning I added in my breakfast and vitamins, which I ate while driving into the office.  (Yes, I'm one of THOSE drivers.)  By the time I left the house this morning, I had my entire day's worth of food packed into a convenient bag (with the exception of tonight's yogurt).  If I didn't have my food on me, it wouldn't have been the end of the world but it also would have been much harder to make clean food choices.  

By having my food on me, I gave myself the flexibility to choose what foods I wanted to eat.  I didn't go into afternoon tea with the plan of NOT eating anything there.  Instead, I made the decision to eat based on how I was feeling at the time.  So I chose to eat my yogurt and didn't feel as though I was denying myself by saying I couldn't have anything.  Similarly, at the ballpark, I didn't prevent myself from getting anything at the concession stand.  In fact, I had conceptualized today as having a cheat meal somewhere in there.  But when I had the opportunities, I didn't feel the urge to pursue it.  

It may sound like a mind game, but I honestly think a big piece of clean eating has to do with how I think about the whole situation.  This is something that I choose to do, not something that I have to do or that I should do.  No one is twisting my arm.  I'm not denying myself or preventing myself from doing anything.  I know I'm more likely to follow my plan when I put the effort into preparing for success, but I'm also more likely to be successful when I talk to myself about my choosing to make successful choices.  Both elements are key to preparation, which is key to successful days and ultimately to positive efforts throughout my life.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 2% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise: NONE (Planned)

Weigh-In:  145.7 / 145.3

No comments:

Post a Comment