Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Awareness

When at the gym, it's recommended to be aware of your surroundings.  I made it to the gym today when I had a 3-hour window between appointments.  Before I started my workout, I was on the phone with someone.  I did my best to stay to the side of the gym, by the stairs, until I was able to wrap-up the call.  I didn't take the phone onto the elliptical with me because I didn't want my talking away to disrupt anyone's workout.

Now, while I was on the elliptical, I did engage in my people watching.  I noticed someone who was on the treadmill for a little bit and then on the stairmill for a bit.  I noticed her because her pace was so SLOW - she had a quicker pace walking across to the treadmill than she had on the treadmill.  Then her pace on the stairmill was slow enough that she had both feet on each step in between her steps (does that make sense).  So she then moved over to the elliptical right next to me.  Initially I was curious as to if her pace would be quick enough to keep the machine turned on (yeah, I can be snarky like that), but then it hit me - HER PERFUME!  

I had to breathe through my mouth so as to not be overwhelmed by it.  I only had 12 minutes left on the machine, so I didn't want to "give in" and move to another machine.  Fortunately, it didn't last long because she left her elliptical after a little bit.  I was so grateful to get the breath of sweaty, stinky, gym air!

Other things to be aware of would include:
- People waiting to use equipment (yes, I've seen people lounging, reading, or texting on machines)
- Returning equipment to its original setting or location
- Wiping down machines after using them
- Taking your towel with you as you go
- Shared workout space, especially in tight quarters
- Gum and gum wrappers
- Spilled water, etc from water bottles
- Headset volume

I'm not perfect and I'm sure my conduct at the gym has annoyed others at some point or another.  I don't advocate "gym police" and certainly don't want people to feel as though they're being scrutinized (little contradiction there, I know, given that I admit to people-watching).  Instead, I think it's important for people to be thoughtful and considerate of others.  The gym is a shared space where everyone there is pretty much working toward similar goals.  While we're not working out together, we can work together to create/maintain an environment that fosters reaching these goals.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% honey Stonyfield Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  80 minutes (60 on elliptical, 20 on treadmill)
  • Calories:  850+
Weigh-In:  146.6 / 146.2

No comments:

Post a Comment