Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Cost of Health and Fitness

This evening I came home to the bill from my appointment with the first nutritionist.  Remember that appointment?  How I was told to consume less protein and add mayonnaise to my diet?  How my complex carbs were being replaced with processed "diet bread" and a snack of 1/2 a graham cracker?  Yeah, that hour of my life that left me crying, angry, frustrated, upset, and feeling hopeless about finding a diet that would work for me.  $340 for the privilege!  I'm fortunate that the majority of it is covered by my insurance plan, but seriously?  That's more than I charge for an hour of my professional time and I'd like to think that an appointment with me isn't nearly as traumatizing or distressing!

Receiving this bill and seeing a monetary amount attached to the appointment got me thinking about the price of pursuing a healthy/fit lifestyle.  I've touched on element of this before, like in my post The Cost of Healthy Eating. Obviously, there's more to being healthy and fit than grocery shopping.  But it can all be quite expensive.  While not requiring money, it certainly is easier to spend money on aspects of health/nutrition than to invest the time and energy on an equivalent but less-expensive plan.  I'm thinking of the suggestions I've seen in various magazines that are along the lines of using soup cans as weights (which only get so heavy), going to the local track and doing laps or running up and down the bleachers (which necessitates finding a track and getting over to it), or even following the workout routines outlined in magazines (that look good and easy to do but are often difficult to implement on your own, especially if you're unsure of how to use the equipment or what your body is capable of).

Gym memberships can be quite pricey.  While going to the gym isn't required for being fit, it certainly makes it easier.  Home exercise equipment is also expensive and offers less variety than you'd find at the gym.  An exercise DVD can help, but a single DVD is rarely (if ever) sufficient for a comprehensive workout.  Then there are the add-ons that aren't necessary but can certainly be beneficial.  Many would put sessions with a personal trainer in this category (where I would put it under the more essential category, but that's more a function of how I train).  Supplements and protein powders to augment a nutritional plan.  Maybe appointments with a nutritionist for some (but not for me at this time) or working with a therapist.  Nutritional programs like Weight Watchers could go in the essential or add-on category depending on the person.

I haven't done the math but, not including groceries, my husband and I easily spend $6000 a year.  And that's not including my addiction to cute workout clothes!

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% honey Stonyfield Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:  (I hadn't planned for a workout, but had a last minute cancellation so was able to get some cardio in before going into the office.  I dawdled a bit, which is why it was only 50 minutes instead of the full 60.)
  • Time:  50 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 4 for 48 minutes; Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Calories:  600+
Weigh-In:  146.4 / 146.1

No comments:

Post a Comment