Saturday, May 14, 2011

Location, Location, Location

This week, I've been going to the gym to get my cardio in.  In fact, I haven't used the elliptical at home since last week.  One of the main reasons for this is to introduce some variety into my workout so that I can continue to stay committed with my fitness efforts.  Another element is the accountability of going somewhere else to exercise, where if I were to come home I'd be much more likely to get distracted by other activities (not to mention the couch).

When I go into the gym, I'm quite particular about which machines I prefer to use.  There is the main bank of stairmills at my gym, which I opt to NOT use.  Why is that?  There are a few reasons.  First of all, here's the view of those machines from the lobby of the gym:


Yup, that's the view of the stairmills, and all the backsides of the people on them.  Upstairs, from the back half of the cardio floor, if you're looking at the TVs you're also looking at this view.  Now I'm not judging anyone else, but more talking about my own level of comfort - I'd rather not be offering that view to others.

Second reason:  When I took this picture, my back was up against the cafe.  The smells from the cafe waft through the lobby and up to the stairmills.  Of everywhere I've done cardio in the gym, on those machines is the only place where the smells seem to reach.  The smell is quite delicious and not disagreeable by itself, but quite distracting when trying to exercise and not think about food.

So if I'm on the stairmill, I choose one of the machines to the back of the cardio floor and off to the side.  Why?  There's not the same "display" because of being blocked by other machines or pillars.  There's no olfactory temptations.  And....

Third reason:  I get a better view of the entire floor of the gym - cardio and weights.  This keeps me distracted and entertained while plodding away and listening to my audiobook.  I do enjoy a little people-watching while at the gym.  I like to see what people are wearing - ideas for what I could try the next time I'm shopping for new gym clothes.  I like to see the types of exercises people are doing and how I could maybe incorporate them into my own workouts.  I also find motivation by watching others challenge themselves.

And, I'll admit it, I just like to people-watch.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  75 minutes (60 on elliptical, 15 on treadmill)
  • Calories:  800+
Weigh-In:  144.7 / 144.1

No comments:

Post a Comment