Monday, May 23, 2011

Keeping Perspective

Sometimes it's easy to lose perspective on what's going on around you.  It can take some unanticipated feedback to help clarify things and get your head on straight.

I didn't think I was all that sore from yesterday's workout, until my massage with Joey this evening.  While he was working on my legs, he paused and asked if it was too firm.  I explained that I was "tender" from my workout and that it wasn't hurting me but more pointing out which muscles I had been working.  (Turns out I used A LOT of muscles yesterday!)
I didn't think I was tired after the weekend.  Sure, I was really tired after Saturday, but thought I had recovered on Sunday (which I spent sitting on the couch and doing paperwork).  However, I slept in until 8am and then proceeded to fall asleep again until 10am.  I didn't even realize that my husband had left for work until I went downstairs and saw his car had gone.  Turns out he left before 8am and he didn't have the heart to disturb me to let me know he was leaving because, in his words, I was VERY asleep.

I didn't think the timing for my cardio mattered all that much, until I shifted my workout to the mid-day.  I have more energy than first thing in the morning (before I've had breakfast).  I'm less tired or wiped out than in the evening (when I'm more likely to get distracted by other things).  This afternoon I got my 60 minutes done, maintaining a quicker pace (~5.2mph) for the duration of the workout, and could have kept going longer if I didn't have a dentist appointment to get to.

I didn't think I was that tense or stressed, until my dentist commented on my teeth-grinding and suggested I get a mouth guard.  The funny thing is that I tend to clench and grind during the day (as opposed to at night like my husband does).  The dentist asked if I'd be able to wear the guard during the day - I said I'd try but that it could make for some interesting conversations with clients.  It did serve to emphasize the importance of my self-care and making the time to relax.  (Exercise and weight-lifting don't count as relaxing, even if they are therapeutic.)

I didn't think I was all that small, until other people made comments about my appearance.  I've been described as a little powerhouse and as tiny.  The most recent comment (which cracked me up) was when someone was trying to describe her colleagues as "no offense, skinny white girls."  I couldn't figure out why I'd take offense - there's no denying that I'm white and I'm flattered to be considered skinny!  It did help to reset my mental image of myself, which tends to get distorted depending on how I'm feeling emotionally.

I didn't think I drank a lot, until I generated approximately 3 times the average amount during both of my 24-hour collections.  On top of that, I was categorized as a "high-volume patient" by one of the labs.  And it's not just that I drink a lot of fluids but that I genuinely feel thirsty when I'm not drinking that amount.  Turns out this has been a pattern for a while.  My mother-in-law said that over the past 20 years (or near enough), she's always noticed that I tend to drink more than others.  Go figure!

There's plenty of other things that I tend to lose track of from time to time.  I don't always remember when I was truly heavy, as opposed to being up a few pounds (like with this weekend).  I don't always remember that my exercise and nutrition programs really are quite strict/intense/demanding, particularly as compared to what the general population does.  And I don't always remember just how fortunate I am in my life - to be healthy, happy, secure, stable, educated, employed, loved, challenged, and alive!

(I think I'm doing better with being mindful of how fortunate I am on a day-to-day basis.)

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • 4oz sweet potato
    • Green beans
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Roasted peppers and onions
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  60 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 4 for 58 minutes; Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Distance:  5.25 miles
  • Max HR: 169
  • Average HR:  151
  • Calories:  725+
Weigh-In:  150.1 / 148.8 (DIGESTION!)

No comments:

Post a Comment