Sunday, June 19, 2011

2011 - Week 24 In Review

Happy Father's Day!  My in-laws (father, mother, and grandfather) left about an hour ago and I'm in the midst of recovering and getting the house back together.  I'm enjoying some well-earned treats, including a mug of hot cocoa as I wrap-up a week that's been generally positive across the board.  As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my husband is undertaking his own "clean eating" efforts which I'm sure will have an influence on my own efforts.  We'll see how this plays out in the weeks to come.

Exercise:  As I'd expected, I got in my 4 days of cardio and a day with the trainer.  With these 5 days, however, I still managed to top 3800 calories for the week.  I increased the intensity or duration of some of my cardio sessions.  Then, today, we added in 30 minutes of cardio after working out with the trainer - so consider that an extra half a cardio workout.  Man, did I feel low energy at the end of that half hour!  I did enjoy mixing up my workouts a bit at the gym, doing most of my cardio on the stairmill and then switching to the elliptical.  Some of my burnout has to do with boredom, so this allows for a change of scenery/activity.  I also like to wrap-up my workout with the pumped-up music.  It does help me to re-energize for those final minutes.  I still haven't made it back into the pool, and won't for at least a week or so because I got my hair colored yesterday and my stylist would kill me if she knew I was touching it with chlorine!

This week, I'll aim for 4 cardio sessions again, plus the extra 30 minutes after Sunday's training session.  We're doing 30 minutes because that's my husband's ceiling right now.  At this point, my work schedule looks exceptionally light.  I don't want to jinx myself, but I anticipate being able to fit in each of my cardio sessions without significant difficulty.  I'm hoping that my friend continues to be in town, so I'll catch time with her where I can (which I why I'm not pushing for 5 cardio sessions).  With my husband being "on plan" himself, I'm hoping that perhaps we can do a joint cardio session at the gym somewhere in there.  The only possible hitch in there is that he hasn't built up to the endurance level that I'm at and would probably wrap-up after 30 minutes.  But we can see about making something work.

Food: I was mostly clean all through the week, until this evening's dessert.  Thursday, I met with my friend and her husband for lunch.  I had packed my own clean lunch and could have stuck with that, but didn't want to hassle with it.  I was quite happy with ordering my sandwich with fries for lunch.  It was planned and I didn't feel like I over-ate there.  Tonight, we hosted the Father's Day dinner.  I saw it as an opportunity to foist off "unclean" foods onto family members and clean out our fridge (salad dressings, dinner's leftovers, etc).  I didn't partake in any of the hors d'oeuvres but had my yogurt then.  Dinner was mostly clean (and I only served myself the clean pieces).  And then there was dessert, my planned cheat of the week.  After successfully not nibbling on any of the 4+ batches of baked goodies over the week, I happily tasted (and tasted again).  Quite delicious and now quite out of my system.  All the leftovers are packed up and ready to go into work on Tuesday where all my colleagues can complain about how I'm making them fat (while they nibble on everything I put out, naturally). 

This week will be interesting.  My husband is eating clean and we're eating many similar foods, so that will make food preparation a bit easier for me.  He can be a bit more particular about having freshly cooked chicken while I'm fine with chicken that was cooked at the beginning of the week.  So I'll be giving a bit more thought about my schedule for food preparation.  Also, my trainer's wife has revamped my meal plan a bit as I seemed to be stagnating in the 145-147 weight range.  Starting tomorrow, this is what my meals will look like:

Meal 1: 3 egg whites, veggies, 50g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
Meal 2: 0% or 2% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt, 1 tbsp coconut oil
Meal 3: 3 oz lean meat, veggies, 1 tbsp coconut oil
Meal 4: 3 oz lean meat, veggies, 1 tbsp coconut oil
Meal 5: 0% or 2% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt, 1 tbsp coconut oil

The only real changes are an increase in my cream of rice (THANK YOU!), no rice with my chicken meals, no coconut oil with breakfast but added coconut oil to my other two meals.  Honestly, I don't know if I'll perceive much of a difference.  I already feel like the rice is somewhat insubstantial mixed in among all the veggies I'm eating.  The increase in cream of rice, which I really am happy about because it's like dessert for breakfast, may be a bit much so I'm thinking about pacing myself with that meal and maybe giving myself a rest.  Or I'll be so happy to have something so yummy that I'll continue to devour it without breathing!  The only possible challenge will be the addition of the coconut oil to my first yogurt - only because I'll have to melt the oil while at work and that can be a bit more of a hassle than just pulling the yogurt out of the fridge.  It won't be an issue with the meat and veggies because I'll just combine it all in there when I'm preparing my meal at home and pop it into the microwave as usual.

Overall:  This week was solidly positive from both a fitness and a nutritional perspective.  While I may have been feeling a little flat emotionally at times, I didn't let it dampen my efforts or use it as an excuse to undermine my efforts.  I think I did a good job at taking care of myself and well as of others.  I didn't really feel burned out until this morning, and I think that was more because I was tired and feeling a bit overwhelmed in anticipation of this evening's activities.  But it all worked out just fine and I took care of what I needed to take care of.  Now I can head up to bed (a bit earlier than usual), read my book, and sleep in tomorrow. 

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2:
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 3: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 4: (REFUELING - all clean, just larger portions)
    • Salad with spray dressing
    • Chicken
    • Peppers and onions
    • Brown rice
  • Meal 5: (CHEAT)
    • Brownies
    • Snickerdoodle Blondie
    • Cookies
    • 2 Chocolates
    • Hot Cocoa
Exercise: 
  • Time:  1 hour lifting with trainer, 30+ minutes on elliptical
  • Calories:  750
Weigh-In: 147.3 / 147.0

No comments:

Post a Comment