Thursday, June 9, 2011

It Just Doesn't Work!

During a conversation about fitness and weight-loss efforts, someone told me that the gym "just doesn't work" for losing weight.  Huh?  After asking what it is about the gym that doesn't work, I began to get a clearer picture:
  • I don't consistently get to the gym.
  • I'd rather go home and relax after work.
  • I feel guilty going to the gym instead of going home to my spouse (or my spouse makes me feel guilty for doing it).
  • I don't feel comfortable exercising in front of other people.
  • I worry about being judged by other people at the gym.
  • I don't know what exercises to do when I'm at the gym.
  • I let other things distract me from exercising.
  • I talk about wanting to lose weight, but I'm resistant to making the efforts that would get me there.
  • I'm looking for an easier answer or a quick fix to reaching my goals.
The gym isn't a magical place.  It's just a building.  It's filled with machines and equipment that resemble medieval torture devices.  The specifics can vary from one gym to another - TVs to distract from the tedium and music to cover the grunts and groans, "state of the art" machines or "old school" meat-head machines, group fitness programming or solitary lifting sessions.  Whatever may be in that building, it's all geared to help with burning fat, building muscle, and improving physical health.

BUT ... it won't do anything unless your in that building and making it happen.  When I hear people saying that something "doesn't work" for them it certainly raises questions for me, especially when it's something that seems to work for most people out there.  Instead of my saying that that it doesn't work for me, I'd want to figure out what it is about me that doesn't work for it.  That ISN'T to say that there's something wrong or broken about me, but more that there's something about my mindset, my behaviors, or my environment that makes this approach more difficult to implement.  It's taking things from a sweeping generalization to specific, tangible details.  The better I am at identifying those underlying issues, the better I am at making effective changes - either to the approach or to myself.

Saying something just doesn't work just doesn't work for me.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2:
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 3: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Pole beans (still not sure what these are, but they're yummy!)
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:
  • Time:  60 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute; Level 4 for 58 minutes; Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Distance:  5.30 miles
  • Speed:  5.2mph (average)
  • Average HR:  159
  • Max HR:  170
  • Calories:  750+
Weigh-In: 147.3 / 147.1

No comments:

Post a Comment