Tuesday, June 14, 2011

All About The Food

Why do so many social engagements seem to revolve around food?  A lot of invitations I get for get-togethers are supposedly for a fun activity (bowling, games, movie, knitting, etc), but inevitably food becomes the dominant factor.  Food is definitely a big piece of social interactions, but it can make things difficult when one's goal is to eat clean.  Abstain from alcohol and you're bound to get asked if you're pregnant (been there, done that!).  Bring your own food and there can be an awkwardness when you eat something different from what everyone else is eating.  Research shows that people tend to eat more when there's a larger group together.  I don't think it's quite exponential, but the number of calories consumed goes up as you start to feel more anonymous in the crowd.  (This was covered in Mindless Eating.)  There's also a social pressure to eat, to try things, to take a taste, or to have a sip.

The tough thing is that a number of my friends are "all about the food" - they enjoy good food, want to try new foods, and prepare amazing foods.  I'm not critical of this.  In fact, I am basically guaranteed delicious eats whenever I get together with them.  However, this can be an unwanted challenge when I'm trying to make clean choices.  I do try to keep a balance and allow for "cheat" meals and for socializing with friends, but it's particularly tough when the food element of the socializing isn't really a food option that I'm interested in.

When I have a cheat, I generally want it to be a quality cheat that I'm really going to enjoy.  With a number of these get-togethers, I don't have much say about what food is served or available.  And I don't want to be known as "that friend" who's picky about food, difficult or controlling, or not capable of having a fun time.  Unfortunately, there are times when I may be more likely to turn down a social invitation rather than take on the "eating clean" challenges associated with the gathering.

Recently, I've decided to challenge myself and to find a way to make these situations work for me.  I try to communicate with my friends in advance as to what food there's going to be.  I check online menus for some planning.  I offer to bring foods so I'm more likely to have a clean option or a delicious cheat on hand.  I'll even bring my own clean foods so that I have those choices available, even if I don't end up eating them.

The main thing I emphasize with my friends is that, while I enjoy the food, I enjoy their company even more.  So while I might not be partaking in the food, I'm not rejecting them or their friendship.  If the situation is handled well, I think it's possible to have a time where everyone's comfortable and having their needs met without feeling judged.  This is definitely something I want to think about more, especially with all the summer gatherings coming up.


Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites with salsa
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2:
    • 3oz chicken
    • Peppers and onions
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 3: 
    • 2% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt (Strawberry Banana - YUM!)
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Peppers and onions
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise: 
  • Time: 70 minutes (45 on stairmill, 25 on elliptical)
  • Level:  Stairmill was level 8 the whole time; Not sure what level the elliptical was
  • Distance:  Somewhere around 7+ miles between the two, but who knows how it's actually calculated
  • Calories:  750+
  • Had a lot of energy and could have kept going on the elliptical but needed to get home and take care of other things.  Tried streaming Netflix on my phone and the picture wasn't that great.  Opted for my audiobook instead.
Weigh-In:  147.0 / 146.9

No comments:

Post a Comment