Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Going To Extremes

Anything taken to an extreme can be unhealthy, but at what point does it cross that line?  Eating too much isn't problematic if it occurs for one meal, one day, or even one week.  When it becomes a long-term habit, that's when it works against you.  The same goes for not eating enough or exercising too much.

Why am I thinking about this?  On Sunday I went to the NKOTBSB concert and I'll be going to another show this Friday.  Is that excessive?  Probably.  Is it extreme?  In the eyes of some perhaps.  Is it problematic?  I don't think so.  Why is that?  Yes, I'm paying for the VIP experience and the floor seats, I'm taking the day off work for it, I'm hanging around the buses afterward with some friends.  But at the end of the day I'm going home and returning to my everyday life.  This isn't something I do on a daily basis.  My life doesn't revolve around it.  I'm not sacrificing in order to make this happen.   I won't compromise my values or who I am for this "hobby" (what else would you call it?). I don't have in my head the idea that I have a "relationship" with any of the guys in the group.  I'm not a stalker and I'm not obsessed.

While at the venue, I saw people who seemed to take being a fan to a whole new level.  My friends and I got to talking about those "more intense" fans and were questioning how they were able to maintain it.  Going to all those concerts, especially with the VIP packages, gets to be really expensive.  Then you add in the traveling, time off work, and special events - wow!  Some people spend thousands of dollars each year for this.  In my mind, that's where the extreme becomes unhealthy, particularly when these expenses can be ill-afforded.  (Yes, I'll admit that there's a little bit of envy for my not being able to afford all these extremes myself, but I'd probably choose to spend that money/time/energy elsewhere if I had it at my disposal.  I would have a hard time spending a couple thousand dollars for a 3-night cruise while leaving my husband at home or spending $700+ for a 5-minute solo photo opportunity.)

I guess it all comes down to an individual's values, priorities, responsibilities, and obligations.  There's no clear-cut rule for what counts as an unhealthy extreme.  It needs to be viewed within the specific context for that person.  I don't ask other people to embrace, or even understand/appreciate, my being a Blockhead.  I'm happy with my level of fandom and how it fits in my life.  I also take that "moderated extremeness" and apply it to other parts of my life, including exercise and eating.  So while I may have "intense eating" for a day (which some people may refer to as a binge), I return to my balanced life and it all smooths out in the grand scheme of things.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 3: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 1 piece of fudge (as I was putting the rest in the cabinet - consider it a toll)
    • 2% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:  None (Planned - early morning presentation and late night appointment)

Weigh-In:  150.8 / 149.8

No comments:

Post a Comment