Friday, June 10, 2011

My Inner Orchid

Sometimes I feel like I need to be more "delicate" - like a fragile flower.  Isn't that what being feminine is all about?  If it is, I'm totally screwed.  I am so not delicate!  One friend used to insist that she was "as delicate as an orchid."  I shared this with someone else who, when trying to remember the phrase, insisted that she was "as delicate as an orchard."  Yup, that's me.  I'm not just one tree but a whole bunch of trees!  Try being a dainty little twinkle-toes then!

When I see myself, in photos or reflections, I don't see myself as small, petite, fragile, or delicate.  I'm 5'5", around 145, and wearing size 4 if that gives you any sense of my appearance.  (Or you could check out photos from previous entrys.)  When I stand next to someone else of a comparable height/size, I don't think I look feminine.  I look SOLID.  Sure, there are curves, but they're mostly the curves of my shoulders, biceps, thighs, and calves.  I have a straight waist and zero hips.

My trainer's mom once commented that I was "a little powerhouse" - an AWESOME compliment if ever I heard one!  I'm strong and I'm muscular.  Does that make me masculine or not feminine?  No (and that's assuming that these gender categorizations fall along a continuum or are mutually exclusive, but that's a whole other can of worms there).  But can someone be feminine and muscular at the same time?  You bet!  It's not all about what your body looks like but how you care for it and what you do with it.  My husband likes to use the following made-up statistic:  "Attractiveness is 5% what your body looks like, 5% how you dress it, and 90% how you carry it."  Any wonder why I love him?

So I may not wilt in the sun, need someone to carry my bags for me, or feel faint after a slight scare.  Those aren't stereotypes of femininity but of weakness - the two are NOT synonymous.  Just look at Starbuck (right) and Boomer (center) from Battlestar Galactica:

Especially with Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff), there's no denying that these are some bad-ass ladies who are strong and sexy.  (Number 6 is a sexy bad-ass, too, but not as muscular or strong looking in my opinion.)  So when someone says I look like I could kick their ass, it's not at the expense of my being feminine.  While I don't fit the stereotypes of being womanly, that's a GOOD thing.  I'm strong, capable, and confident.  I just remind myself that I'm a delicate orchard!

Food Log:
  • Meal 1: 
    • 3 egg whites
    • 30g dry cream of rice (cooked in water)
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 2:
    • 3oz chicken
    • Pole beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
  • Meal 3: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • Meal 4: 
    • 3 oz chicken
    • Pole beans
    • 1/2c cooked rice
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Meal 5: 
    • 0% flavored Chobani Greek Yogurt
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Exercise:  None - Opted for quality time on the couch with the hubby all evening instead.
Weigh-In: 147.5 / 147.3

No comments:

Post a Comment