Monday, January 24, 2011

Fashion - The Evils of "Skinny Jeans"


Who decides what's fashionable?  When I see some of the things that make it down the runway, I think the "powers that be" in the fashion world must live on another planet.  There seems to be a consistent trend to pick out the styles that are the most unflattering to the greatest portion of the population and then to identify them as the "it" fashions for the season.

While I see that "anyone can wear skinny jeans with confidence," I don't think that means that anyone should wear skinny jeans.  It's a style that seems to be hand-picked for the tall, skinny, supermodel type, not for the average person with legs larger than toothpicks.  For the longest time, I wasn't able to find jeans that fit, let alone looked somewhat flattering on me.  I'd try to pull them on and ... they'd get stuck over my calves or my thighs.  So even if the jeans would fit my waist, it was impossible for me to get them up that far!  I've since seen catalog listings for jeans which include "leg opening" measurements - I don't believe the 17" openings will be fitting over my legs.... 

A number of websites out there have tips for how to make skinny jeans work for you - wear with boots to cover up your calves, wear with a tunic to cover a tummy or a butt, wear with heels to elongate legs.  It seems silly to pick a piece of clothing that seems designed to accentuate the "negative" aspects of a person's appearance.  Skinny jeans create an "ice cream cone" effect - narrow at the bottom and wider at the top.  After watching years of "What Not To Wear" on TLC, I know that's one of Stacy and Clinton's "Don't" fashion tips.

So, if I'm to follow the dictates of the magazines, I'm wearing knee-high or over-the-knee boots that won't zip-up over my "athletic" calves (LOVED the salesman who referred to my calves that way when none of the boots he brought me would fit).  In the spring and summer I would wear crop or capri pants which make my bottom half look shorter and wider.  I'm already on the short side and don't need pants to elevate that to "stumpy."  A spring fashion trend is horizontal stripes to  broaden my torso - a style only a prisoner could love.  Gladiator shoes are something which I just don't understand.  And I thought we left rompers back in preschool!

And when it comes down to the skinny jeans, I guess I could opt for "jeggings" instead, but I don't think they're much of an improvement.  I did find one pair of skinny jeans at Kohl's that I could be comfortable with.  They're not very tight, in fact I think they're kind of baggy for skinny jeans and that suits my legs just fine.  I bought them specifically to go with a pair of boots because I had a hard time tucking my other jeans into them.  And I tend to wear them with a tunic or a larger sweater.  I admit it, I'm a sucker for trends.

But why should I try to fit into clothes that seem to be designed to foster negative feelings about my appearance?  Why do I feel that I'm supposed to wear pants that fit like sausage casing and create a "muffin top" over the waist band?  I'm not advocating for a life of looking schlumpy wearing  sweatpants all the time (although that would be incredibly comfy!).  Rather, I think fashion should be made to work around the individual.  I want to feel good about myself when I get dressed in the morning.  I want to feel comfortable throughout the day.  I care about myself and I want that to be portrayed in how I dress and carry myself.  I put a lot of effort into my physical presence and my clothes are going to accentuate that.


Food Log:

  • Meal 1 
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with Mrs. Dash and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
  • Meal 2
    • 2oz chicken
    • French beans 
  • Meal 3
    • 4oz chicken
    • French beans 
  • Meal 4
    • Protein shake
Note:  I ate A LOT of Lifesavers mints and Werther's Originals this afternoon.

Exercise: 
  • Time:  90 minutes
  • Level:  Level 1 the entire time
  • Calories:  800
Today's Weigh-In:  144.5

    No comments:

    Post a Comment