Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How Fortunate I Am....


I work hard.  I'm not boasting or looking for a pat on the back, I'm just stating a fact.  There's often a mentality of "If you just work hard enough...."  While that's certainly true in many regards, working hard isn't the only variable.  Recently, I've realized how fortunate I am.  Because of this, I'm able to focus so much of my time, energy, and money on working out and eating well.

My husband and I have an income where we can afford a gym membership.  We spend a little bit more for the "fancy" gym, but I think it's important to have a place where you want to go workout.  Having the membership is also a commitment to workout (at least in my mind), since it's open 24-hours and always has machines available.  So if I can't workout at home, I know there's always somewhere else I can go for my exercise.  Another bonus about our particular gym is that a number of our friends are members there as well.  While I don't often workout with other people (unless it's a tandem session with my trainer), it can be nice to meet up with someone for a fitness class or to walk on the treadmill together.

Related to the gym membership, we're also able to afford personal training sessions.  Working out with a trainer has been key to my success.  While I'm sure I could have made headway working out on my own, I'm certain it wouldn't have been to this level.  I frequently refer to training as my weekly therapy appointments.  I'm able to set aside an hour a week to be coached and pushed by someone else.  I don't have to make the decisions about what exercise to do or how much weight to lift.  I trust in my trainer and have confidence in him because he has confidence in me.  I don't treat his word like gospel (though he'd maybe like it if I did!), but I value him as a resource.  Not all trainers are as capable and competent as the ones I've found.  I don't know if I've just been lucky, but I do know I've been fortunate to have worked with some really great trainers over the years.

Another financial aspect to consider is that I'm able to afford healthier foods  Groceries can be expensive and buying healthier foods is even more expensive!  At the grocery store yesterday, I spent over $250 on groceries.  While this did include some household items (CFL lightbulbs for 16.99) and the ingredients for a cake I'm baking later this week, almost everything that went into the cart was for our regular, everyday meals.  And the total was after $50 in coupons and sale items.  The food I bought yesterday will certainly last us through the week and might even cover most of next week (with a small run to the store for more veggies).  But we can afford $200/week or more for foods that are good for us, that we like, and that taste good.  Breaking that down, it's about $5/meal - definitely more than a McDonald's value meal or a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, but definitely more nutritious as well!  One trade-off is that we don't go out to eat very often, but that's driven by my wanting to eat clean rather than by our finances.

One huge variable is my flexible schedule, which I definitely appreciate.  In my job, I get to make my own hours and schedule my own appointments.  While I only get paid for the appointments I see, I also get to say when I'm available to see these appointments.  I have made the intentional choice to block out windows of time for exercise, so that it's a priority in my day.  My first appointment often isn't until 11am, allowing me the time to exercise in the morning.  For days when I have an earlier start, I can try to arrange for an earlier end so that I can exercise in the evening.  An added bonus of the flexible schedule is that my hours are generally shifted from the "typical" schedule so that when I do get into the gym it's often during off-peak times.  I may not be able to make it to all the classes I'd be interested in, but I'm able to get onto the cardio machines I want and the locker room isn't crowded.

One luxury I definitely enjoy is having an elliptical in our home.  This is our second machine and we've more than gotten our money's worth out of them!  My negotiation was that I would get the buy the machine in lieu of paying for a gym membership.  I don't remember precisely what we paid for it, but it was under $1000 (well less than the cost of a year's membership).  Having an elliptical in the basement means I don't have to make that extra effort of getting to the gym to get my workout done.  I don't have to wait in line for a particular machine to be available.  I wear whatever I want, because I'm not trying to look good for anyone.  I make as much noise as I want, huffing and puffing, without distracting anyone else.  I multitask, doing laundry while I exercise.  I watch whatever I want on the TV.  The TV is an extra treat for my exercising at home, because it's set-up with the Tivo and I get to watch fun shows that I wouldn't set aside the time to watch otherwise.

This may sound strange, but I'm fortunate to not have any children for the moment.  Though I can  guarantee you that when I do have children, I'll be going on about how fortunate I am to have them.  But for the time being, not having children means that I'm not having to adapt my schedule to accommodate the little munchkins.  "I'm the boss of me!"  I can workout according to my own timetable without having to work around school buses, nap-times, playdates, and homework.  I can cook whatever I want for dinner without bowing to the demands of a picky eater (aside from my husband who's really not that picky).  I can eat whenever I want to as well.  With our work schedules, we often won't sit down to eat until after 9pm - well after a little one's bedtime!  I know when we have kids there will need to be a lot of changes to our schedules and our lifestyle, but for now I'm appreciative of the flexibility and independence that comes with a munchkin-free life.

I honestly think that the one thing I am most fortunate to have is the support of my husband.  I know that he loves me regardless of my weight and appearance.  I know he wants me to be happy and healthy.  I know he has sacrificed a lot as a result of my undertaking these efforts.  Today was a prime example of his support.  I woke up with a pretty bad headache and didn't feel like I could get my workout in before work.  Before he left for work, I asked if he would mind if I worked out in the evening which would mean a later evening for us.  He said he was completely fine with it, knowing that dinner wouldn't be until 10pm.  If I were to tell him how much I appreciated it, he would probably roll his eyes and insist it wasn't a big deal.  If I didn't have his support, it would be much more difficult to stay committed to my efforts.  There are already enough challenges to face in life, but facing them with him at my side makes them more manageable.  Maybe the things he does to support me really aren't a big deal, but they're what's that is important to me. 

Food Log:
  • Meal 1
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Meal 2
    • 2 oz chicken
  • Meal 3
    • 2 oz chicken
  • Meal 4
    • 4 oz chicken
    • Asparagus
  • Meal 5
    • Protein shake
Exercise:
  • Time: Stairmill for 60 minutes
  • Level: 8 (3 minutes of single steps, 2 minutes of double steps the entire time)
  • Calories:  650+ 
Today's Weigh-In:  144.1

No comments:

Post a Comment