Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Not today ... I don't feel like it



Let's face it, I'm not a morning person. Getting to the office for 10am is a struggle for me.  (Keep in mind that I'm fortunate enough to make my own schedule and often stay until 8pm.) Once my day gets started, it's quite packed and tends to go with few breaks until 9pm. And then, by the time I walk in the door, it's time for dinner and bed. I used to exercise in the evening, once I got home from work. This resulted in a lot of inconsistency, because it was so easy for something to come up or for me to get distracted. (I'm easily taken off-task by shiny things!) I missed spending that evening time with my husband, as the sounds of the elliptical (and my huffing and puffing) are not conducive for stimulating conversation.

It's not uncommon for me to be done with work but to linger around the office, returning phone calls or tending to a non-urgent project.  Why did I stay at work an extra 2 hours on a Friday evening cleaning out the fridge? True, it was disgusting in there, but it must be a sign of sickness to opt for this activity when the weekend awaits. (Yes, I recognize an element of ADHD here with the distractibility and the difficulty shifting focus.)  While I may have every intention of going to the gym on the way home or of climbing on the elliptical once I walk in the front door, I could easily find myself succumbing to the lure of comfy pajamas and company on the couch. So how do I tune out the song of the flannel sirens?

The first big shift was to start exercising in the morning. I feel like I've really accomplished something and it's a great way to start the day. Once the workout is under my belt, I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day. How freeing to come home at the end of the day and know that I can relax right away without the weight of the elliptical hanging over my head. Morning workouts also help me wake-up and feel more alert.

I schedule my workouts on my calendar so that I know I've got the time set aside for them. This is particularly useful for days when I don't have the structure of going into the office. Even if I don't follow the schedule precisely, I try to stay within the ballpark.

For the days when I plan to go to the gym, I'll pack my bag in advance and carry it with me throughout the day. If possible, I'll even dress in my workout clothes at the start of the day. It's another way of indicating my commitment to get the workout in for the day.

I save enjoyable activities for ONLY when I exercise. I will only watch Tivo-ed programs while I'm on the elliptical. I will only listen to my audio books while I'm on the stairmill. I'm even thinking of getting a blu ray player so I can stream Netflix for a broader selection of "indulgent" shows. (I'd have a hard time justifying 2 hours on the couch to watch "Spice World" but if I was on the elliptical....)

Not every day has to be a workout day. I give myself permission to take a day off each week. If I can identify that day in advance, it can help motivate me through my "on" days. When I know I'll be getting a break in the near future, the immediate discomfort doesn't seem quite as powerful.

Sometimes, an unplanned "off" day shows up. I just don't have the energy to make myself climb onto the machine. On those days, I have to make the decision as to whether I push myself through it or cut myself a break. I think I'm pretty good at knowing when I really need the day off and when I'm copping out. If I feel like I'm being a wuss, I'll do my best to push through it. If my body is telling me to take the time off, I'll listen to it and give myself a break. While exercise is one way of taking care of myself, so is allowing myself some extra sleep or an evening on the couch.

Food Log:

  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with Mrs Dash and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
  • Snack
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and spray salad dressing
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Dinner
    • 4oz chicken
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and mustard
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Snack
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter

Exercise:
  • Time: 60 minutes
  • Level: Level 1 for 1 minute, Level 4 for 58 minutes, Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Calories: 700+
  • Distance: 5 miles

Today's Weigh-In: 145.5

No comments:

Post a Comment