Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A look inside my fridge





Sometimes I'm asked about what food I have in the house.  I've been teased about having nothing but lawn clippings on hand.  I keep insisting that there is "real food" in my house.  Here are the photos to prove it!  


  • Top Shelf (Left):
    • Containers of cooked chicken
    • Salsa
    • Pasta sauce (for when I make spaghetti for my husband)
    • Pickles
  • Top Shelf (Right):
    • Cartons of egg whites
    • Bags of spinach
    • Asparagus
    • Leftover green beans
  • Middle Shelf (Left):
    • Two large trays of chicken (which I'll trim and marinate.  Some will be frozen, some cooked right away.)
    • Steak (a protein treat I don't have very often)
    • Ground turkey
  • Middle Shelf (Right):
    • Eggs
  • Meat and Cheese Drawer:
    • Shredded cheese (for my husband's chicken wraps, quesadillas, etc.)
    • Sliced cheeses (for my husband's sandwiches)
    • Cold cuts (for my husband's sandwiches)
  • Bottom Shelf:
    • Bottles of wine (which neither of us really drink)
    • Cases of diet soda
  • Crisper (Left):
    • Ketchup
    • Maple syrup
    • Lemon juice
    • Mustards (the ones I don't like)
    • Tortillas (for my husband's chicken wraps, quesadillas, etc.)
    • I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (back-up bottles)
    • Sugar-free jam
    • Better-n-Peanut Butter (which I used to eat to scratch my peanut butter itch before I went back to the real stuff because I needed the fat in my diet)
    • Starbuck's Double Shot Light (which a friend left behind in my car one weekend)
    • Protein shake (in case I don't have time to make eggs one morning)
    • Babybell light cheese (for my husband to snack on)
  • Crisper (Right):
    • Beer (for my husband)




  • Top cubby:
    • Butter
    • Lime juice
    • Medications
  • First Shelf:
    • Mustards
    • Minced Garlic
  • Second Shelf:
    • Salad dressings (bottled and spray)
    • I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
  • Bottom Shelf:
    • BBQ sauce
    • Marinades and sauces (to add flavor to my husband's chicken)
    • Hot sauce
    • Chicken broth (for cooking rice)

I took these photos after having just gone grocery shopping.  The only things that might otherwise be in there are more fresh veggies and perhaps some fresh shrimp for my husband.  I typically don't keep my 1-gallon jug in there, as I prefer to drink my fluids at room-temperature.  Over the course of the week, there tends to be an increase in leftovers (mostly veggies).  And I'll pre-pack lunches for myself and my husband, so our lunch bags get shoved in there as well.

The left crisper is the Land of Banishment for our fridge.  It holds the foods that I'm generally not eating right now but that I can't bring myself to throw away.  I keep hoping that someone else will take a liking to the mustards.  The jams will probably get thrown away in the near future.  It will all get worked through sooner or later.  I have found that eating clean allows for a cleaner and less-cluttered fridge.  The shopping list is also much more straight forward!

Food Log:

  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Snack
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Dinner
    • 4oz chicken with cooked onion
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and spray dressing
  • Snack
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter


I didn't have much of an appetite today and actually felt a little nauseated at one point.  Once I got into the office, I was pretty much running non-stop.  There was one break where I could have grabbed a bite to eat, but I just didn't feel like eating.  I did munch on a fair number of hard candies throughout the day - something I'm going to try to better moderate.


Exercise:  None (planned)


This was one of my unlikely days for exercising this week.  While I did head into the office a half hour later, I chose to get some extra sleep instead of pushing to get a workout in.  I was (and still am) feeling exhausted and wrung-out.  Better to take care of my body with the much-needed sleep.  And It looks like I'll be getting that extra workout in tomorrow, since the opening in my schedule has expanded from 2 hours to 4 hours.  My gym bag is already packed and I'm going to push to get that workout in.

Today's Weigh-In: 148.2


I'm trying to not get frustrated with this.  I KNOW that weight fluctuates for a wide range of reasons.  This could be because I had steak last night.  Or perhaps the seasoning I sprinkled on the steak was higher in salt so I retained water.  Or there may be some "womanly issues" at play here (not to give TMI, but sort of a pre-PMS).  Despite what I KNOW, I still FELT yucky seeing that number on the scale this morning.  But I was determined to not let it bring me down or tempt me to make "screw it" choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment