Friday, January 28, 2011

Preparing For My "Show"

Why do I do this?  What drives me each day?  What am I moving toward?  Is there a deadline that I'm pushing toward?

My trainer has spent the last few years trying to convince me to participate in a figure competition.  It's not to the level of body building, but it's a step up from a bikini contest.  As a t-shirt on CafePress.com put it: Dumbbells, Fake Tan, and Hooker Heels.  While I like the idea of being ABLE to walk on stage in a sequined posing suit and know that I look good, that's not something that I'm comfortable with actually doing.  I'm already quite critical of myself, I don't need a panel of judges evaluating me and comparing me to others.

I'm definitely flattered that my trainer thinks I could do a competition.  Also, I've been asked if I'm preparing for a show by other trainers and by other attendees when I was in the audience at a body building competition.  While I'm not going to participate in a body building or physique show, I have found that a deadline in the relatively near future can be a great motivator.  So I create "shows" of my own that I work toward. 

In June 2009, I had my first "show" - a specific deadline with a goal of getting in the best possible shape.  It was meeting New Kids on the Block (my favorite boy band) at their concert.  My trainer and I conceptualized this as my "show" as I'd be in their presence for about 5 minutes, the average length of a posing routine.  My goal was to be the most fit lady in the room, and I think I did pretty well with that effort:


The best part of that experience (besides standing next to Donnie) was getting my trainer involved in the motivational effort.  It was certainly the most entertaining!  If he wanted me to do five more reps, I "made" him call out the names of each New Kid, one for each rep.  I just laughed as he struggled to come up with the names ("Bobby, right? Uh, Stevie? I know it's a name that ends in Y or IE!).  Then he'd announce "Give me two more for Donnie!"  I even thought of having that printed on a t-shirt, given the frequency with which we used that phrase.  Then, whenever I made the next mini-goal with weight loss, I'd come to the next training session wearing that "Cover Girl" tank top.

When I'm having a tough time motivating myself, I remind myself of the up-coming event.  I think about how I want to look and how I want to feel about myself at that time.  Leading up to the concert in 2009, I had my "Cover Girl" tank top hanging in the bathroom so I would see it everyday.  Then, by the time the concert rolled around....

That was over 18 months ago.  This year, I'll be pulling out the "Cover Girl" tank again with another New Kids Meet and Greet opportunity in June.  I'm currently around the same weight and in better shape.  I'm tighter and more solidly packed with better muscle definition.  So I can just imagine how I'll look in 4 months at the next concert!

After the concert, my next "shows" are when my husband and I are renewing our vows in July, and when we take our annual beach trip in September.  There may not be a formal show, but when I think about it, the world's a stage and many people out there are judging me....

Food Log
  • Meal 1
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Meal 2
    • 2oz chicken
    • Green beans
  • Meal 3
    • 4oz chicken
    • French beans
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Meal 4
    • Protein shake
Exercise:  None (planned) 
Today's Weigh-In: 143.8

No comments:

Post a Comment