Thursday, January 20, 2011

Managing the Mandatory Cheat

There are times when I HAVE to go out to eat, when I won't have access to the food choices I'd prefer, when it's really difficult (and not quite appropriate) to smuggle in my own food.  It's frustrating to feel as though these decisions are taken away from me.  Mentally, it's different to have a cheat meal imposed on me rather than to choose a cheat meal for myself.  When I choose to cheat, I'll generally put a lot of thought into the choices.  I'll want to go to a restaurant that I really like, order foods I'm unlikely to cook for myself (very rarely does a cheat meal involve chicken!), and have good company with me.

Then there are the "mandatory cheat" meals, where I can't opt-out of the function (and don't want to), but also where I don't have much say in where we eat.  I hate to feel as though my socializing is being limited because of the desire to make healthier food choices and I sometimes worry that we may get fewer invitations for dining out because people know about my clean eating efforts.  I don't expect all events to revolve around my eating preferences, though I will be vocal about these preferences if appropriate.  I do try to be flexible about arrangements and I've found that I can generally find something at whatever restaurant is selected.  I've found that I increase the likelihood of a good cheat experience by making suggestions about where we could go eat.

When I know a cheat is up-coming, I try to address some points in advance.
  • Check the menu of the restaurant so I can plan out what I'd like to order
  • Focus on eating clean for the rest of the week
  • Spacing out my food for that day so I'm less likely to go into the meal ravenous
  • Fitting in all my exercise sessions
  • Extending some of my exercise (especially on the day of the cheat) to burn some extra calories
Once I'm at the restaurant, I try to stay on top of my plan.  I'll ask the server for further details about the dishes.  I don't mind asking for substitutions, even if it means paying a little extra.  It's worth it to get a meal that I'm happy with!  I typically don't order alcohol, because I'd prefer my calories come from food.  So it's usually Diet Coke for me.  If there's dessert, I'll see about splitting it with someone else at the table - that way I can get a few tasty bites and not worry about having to limit myself.  Given my sweet tooth, I don't think I could leave any dessert behind without risking my bursting into flames!

I think the most important thing I can do for myself with any cheat (mandatory or elective) is to give myself permission to enjoy it.  If I don't allow for these enjoyments, I'm more likely to get frustrated over the acute sense of denial.  This is where the ability to contextualize these situations and talk myself through them.  My weight didn't go up because of a single meal and it's not going to stop going down because of a single meal either.  As long as I remain on track the majority of the time, it's important that I allow myself the occasional indulgence.  I'll just accept that those occasions aren't always under my control.


Food Log:
  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with Mrs Dash and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
  • Snack
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and spray dressing
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Dinner
    • 4oz chicken
    • Sauteed spinach with onions
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Snack
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise: None (Planned off day)
Today's Weigh-In: 145.7

No comments:

Post a Comment