Thursday, January 13, 2011

Help! My husband's a chicken!






Going through my food logs, it's quite apparent that I like chicken.  It's probably safe to say I love chicken.  I can eat it nearly every day and not get tired of it.  I may use different marinades, cook it up a little differently, or have it with different sides, but it's still chicken.  While I'm okay with that, my husband is not always.  He's even announced that he will sprout feathers and turn into a chicken if I put another chicken breast in front of him.

This can lead to some challenging mealtimes, especially when I'm feeling rushed and not-so-creative.  Many evenings, I'll cook two dinners.  This is easy, considering that "cooking" my dinner consists of pulling a chicken breast out of the fridge and microwaving a bag of veggies.  So what to cook for my husband?

He doesn't follow the same plan that I do, so I have a little more leeway with what I prepare.  In fact, he doesn't follow any specific plan at all.  I try to find a balance between serving something that's healthy/nutritious and still something that he'll want to eat.  I definitely recognize my tendency to "take care" of him through food.  I can't take away work-related stresses or annoying traffic, so I try to compensate by having something yummy on the table for dinner.  For the most part, I still prepare him healthy meals; however, they have a different nutritional distribution (typically more carbs).

He eats out one night a week with friends and we often have a "cheat meal" at some point over the weekend.  So that leaves 5 dinners a week where I can come up with something non-chicken.  So while I'm eating my 4oz of chicken, he's eating:

  • Shrimp Fra Diavolo
  • Shrimp Fried Rice
  • Steamed Shrimp
  • Chicken Quesadillas (which apparently doesn't count as "chicken")
  • Turkey Tacos (poultry, yes; chicken, no) 
  • Spaghetti with Ground Turkey

(Funny how he's not concerned about turning into a giant shrimp!)  Generally speaking, he'll get more carbs (pasta, tortillas) and more dairy (cheeses), as well as fewer veggies (smaller servings in comparison, because I can eat 2 cups+ with my dinner).  Cooking in our house isn't elaborate or fancy, but I'd like to think it's good enough.  Something relatively tasty, filling and satisfying, easy to prepare, and easy to clean up after.  Chicken often fits the bill.  If you are what you eat, I'm happy being a giant chicken!  If my husband starts sprouting feathers, he can get something else from the kitchen or give a call to Papa John's.  Meanwhile, I'll take photos of my feathered husband to post on Facebook.  :)

Food Log:

  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Snack
    • Green beans with chipotle mustard
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Dinner
    • 4oz chicken with champagne dill mustard
    • 20g almonds
    • Mixed veggies
  • Snack
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise:
  • Time: 99min on stairmill (Listening to Carrie Fisher's audiobook Wishful Drinking)
  • Level:  7
  • Calories: 900+
Today's Weigh-In: 146.1

No comments:

Post a Comment