Monday, January 3, 2011

Inside or Out: Why we do the things we do

Why do I do things I know will be painful, or at the very least uncomfortable?  Somewhere in there is a reward that is salient enough to make it worthwhile.  I like to think of motivation as a type of paycheck.  Generally speaking, I don't work for free.  I go to work because I'm paid to do so.  Think of that as an external motivator.  I also work because I love what I do and find it personally rewarding - an internal motivator.  What about volunteering or doing something for a friend?  I get a paycheck for that too, just a different type.  It may be external (praise or compliments from others for being so giving of myself) or internal (an overall good feeling for knowing I was able to help out).

So what's the motivation for working out and for watching what I eat?  Where's the pay-off?  Motivators typically start as external forces and then, over time, transition to internal ones.  It's a growth process.  At first the motivation may be watching the number on the scale going down or seeing pants fitting looser.  Someone may ask "Have you lost weight?" or comment "You're looking great!"  It's not uncommon to quickly drop a few pounds at the start of a new nutrition/exercise regime, though it's mostly water weight.  Eventually, this loss tapers off, the scale slows down, clothes don't seem to change, and the compliments aren't quite as special; with that, the motivation also seems to taper off.

I think this is when most people become a statistic.  Think of the commercials with the "*Results Not Typical" disclaimer at the bottom.  Research shows that 95% of those who lose weight on a diet gain it back.  Diets are temporary changes that tend to be more extreme and that don't fit into everyday life.  It's uncomfortable (and often not feasible) to make them long-term changes and to make the choice to live that way on a daily basis.  Time and again, the mind will give-in before the body does.  The mental and emotional factors are more likely to undermine my efforts than the physical factors.  This is when I look inside and find ways to create motivation.  How can I pay myself?

Here are some of my "paychecks" for being consistent with my program:
  • Looking at my "before and after" photos with the knowledge that I don't have to become a "Before" again
  • Knowing I can pull out anything in my closet and feel good wearing it
  • Compliments from others, mostly about my "guns" or my "stems"
  • Feeling confident when I walk into the grocery store - I know I can select healthy foods
  • A regular massage (and feeling comfortable on the table as the masseuse touches me)
    • I incorporate extras as special rewards for reaching benchmarks (hot stone massage, aromatherapy)
  • Going shopping and choosing clothes based on what I like as opposed to what covers me up
  • Getting a manicure and pedicure - I feel it draws extra attention as opposed to "naked" nails
  • Taking on a fitness challenge to see if I can do it - a cardio class, a new strength-training exercise.  It's okay if I struggle, as long as I keep trying and enjoy myself
I know a lot of these have to do with physical appearance.  I won't deny the powerful effect of looking good, but it's more than the external or the superficial.  It's a reflection of a change with my internal processes.  I feel better about myself and remind myself that the temporary discomfort is what leads to this.  I hold myself a little taller and walk with my head held high.  I look other people in the eye and smile back without uncertainty.  I don't think my self-concept is defined by my physical appearance, but I won't deny that the way I see myself as a person is influenced in part by how I look.  So it's not surprising that the things that keep me going with a physically-oriented effort are also physically based.


As long as there's a payoff, the behaviors will persist.  It's important to make sure that the behaviors I'm reinforcing are the ones that relate to my goal of a healthier, fitter, cleaner lifestyle.

Food Log:
  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Snack
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and spray salad dressing
    • Almonds (20g)
  • Lunch
    • 4oz chicken with Sweet & Hot mustard
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and spray salad dressing
    • Almonds (20g)
  • Dinner
    • 4oz chicken
    • Asparagus
  • Snack
    • A generous tablespoon of peanut butter
And I've tried to be good about the caffeine and Splenda.  I finished my pot of tea earlier in the day, as working from home on Mondays makes that easier.  The entire evening is devoted to decaffeinated beverages (tea, rootbeer, etc).  I've been limiting myself to a tablespoon of Splenda per mug of tea, which is a substantial reduction (and keep in mind that I use large mugs for enjoying my tea).  The payoff for these?  Hopefully more restful sleep at night (caffeine) and less intestinal distress during the day (Splenda).


Exercise: 
  • 60 minutes on the elliptical 
    • Level: 2 minutes at level 1, 56 minutes at level 4, 2 minutes at level 1
    • Distance: Just over 5 miles
    • Calories: 700+

Today's Weigh-In:  148.8

No comments:

Post a Comment