Sunday, January 9, 2011

Working with a trainer


I'm not tooting my own horn, but I'm smart, educated, well-informed, and motivated.  So why have I had such struggles with weight?  That's a complex story, as I'm sure is becoming apparent through this blog.  I firmly believe that, in situations like this, it's not really necessary to focus on the past.  Instead, I think it makes more sense to focus on the here-and-now and to deal with current situations; the past always seems to work its way into daily life.

I've had gym memberships over the year.  I've gone to the gym.  And I haven't seen changes.  Why?  I didn't have the fitness-specific knowledge.  I didn't know HOW to workout.  My solution?  I sought out an expert - the trainer.  My first relationship with a trainer was in New York (and I do consider them relationships) and we worked together for a couple of years.  It was a fabulous foundation for fitness and nutrition.  I learned how to challenge myself and to find the fun in exercising.  He put together a nutrition program which had me focus on the breakdown my my food, monitoring overall calories, protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

I then moved away from New York and from my trainer.  I floated on my own for a few years until realizing, again, that I needed that relationship with a trainer again.  I had two different trainers who focused on the strength-training but not on the nutrition.  One moved away and then I moved again.      Cue the weight gain!  In 2007, I created my own plan by joining Weight Watchers and joining a gym.  I then started with a trainer at the gym.

My first step was to be VERY clear about what I was looking for in a trainer and to interview prospective trainers.  I spend more time with my trainer than I do with some friends and family (that I choose to be around).  I'm investing more money into those training sessions than I do into my car maintenance.  Therefore, I think it makes sense to interview, or test-drive, prospective trainers with more thoroughness than I would my mechanic or hairdresser.  I don't expect there to be a friendship with my trainer, but I do expect to feel comfortable within our working relationship.  If I don't feel good about the person I'm working with, how am I going to feel good about the work that person is asking me to do?

I actually turned down the first trainer that the gym matched me with because I didn't think his approach would motivate me.  I was then matched with a different trainer, whose approach really complemented my nutritional program at the time.  Then he moved.  (Are you noticing a trend here?)

In August, 2008, I started working with my current trainer.  Right off the bat, I informed him that he was NOT ALLOWED TO MOVE, EVER!  Since then, with his guidance and motivation, I have made my body do some amazing things.  Everything has built upon the foundation I established through my work with previous trainers; from there, he helped me set specific goals.  I think all successful trainers are there to challenge their clients in ways they can't really challenge themselves.  Otherwise, they'd be working out on their own and not paying the trainer!   I don't think I would have the confidence to try leg-pressing almost 700 pounds or squatting 1 1/2 times my body weight!  Knowing that there's someone standing behind me to support and encourage me through the set, I'm able to push myself that little bit further.  I'm also very fortunate that working out with him goes beyond the hour-long weight-lifting session.  He helped me develop a cardio program that also works toward my goals.

Beyond exercise, our work together incorporates nutritional guidelines.  I made the decision to leave Weight Watchers when it became apparent that it didn’t meet my needs at that time.  (Note that this was before the program was revised to better address the role of protein, so I don't know if it would better meet my needs now.)  Through the strength-training with my trainer, I built up significant muscle mass.  According to Weight Watchers, I would be considered “overweight” when, at 5’5”, I was fitting into size 4 pants and had 18% body fat.  Seriously?  I don’t think so!  

What I liked about Weight Watchers was the structure to hold me accountable for my food choices.  That continued with my trainer and continues here with my daily posts.  There’s the support for “clean” food choices, not to mention the constructive feedback, praise, and motivation.  I must admit that I am comforted to know that there’s NO WAY I can eat as much as my trainer does for his “cheat” meals!  Sometimes I feel a little nauseated when I hear his full accounting (and I will admit I do feel a little envious as well).  But what I do have, through my experiences working with a trainer, is the confidence that , even if I don’t make the best choices over a weekend or while on vacation, I can always return to my “clean” eating habits and reclaim the progress that’s been made.  It may not be right away, but I'll be able to get there.

Training is something I look forward to.  I derive a great sense of accomplishment and empowerment from each session.  I tend to view exercise as a therapeutic process, and each workout is my own therapy session.  It gives me permission to make myself a priority and my trainer is there to help make it happen.

In my opinion, there’s never an end to this quest.  My trainer is a guide, my personal Sherpa, on this adventure.  Although I’ve achieved many of my goals, I know the importance of continuing to challenge myself.  (As I've said before, exercise and nutrition are just like laundry and are never done!)  Through working with a trainer, I can honestly say that I am stronger, fitter, and in the best shape I have ever been!


Food Log:

  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Lunch
    • 4oz chicken
  • Snack
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and Mrs. Dash
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Dinner
    • 4oz chicken
    • Roasted peppers and onions
    • 20g almonds
  • Snack
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise:
  • Time:  1 hour
  • Total Body Workout with trainer
  • Calories:  400+


Today's Weigh-In:  146.4

No comments:

Post a Comment