Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'm not hating...

... but I may be a little less tolerant of others at times. I'm NOT size-ist; it has NOTHING to do with a person's size, weight, or fitness level. Rather, I have limited patience for whining when there's nothing being done about it. As Einstein said, insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If a person isn't eating differently and isn't changing activities, why should there be the expectation for weight loss or other changes in health or fitness?

I don't pretend to have all the answers and I certainly am not one to tell other people what they "should" do. However, I do tend to be a problem-solver. When I'm approached with a complaint, be it my own or someone else's, I like to see what can be done to resolve it. I'm likely to draw on my personal experiences and make suggestions. I want to do a thorough assessment of the presenting issue, the related factors, past efforts to create change, and possible barriers to future change. By understanding what aspects are functioning and what ones aren't, it's much easier to target areas of change.

An important first step is knowledge. If I don't have the knowledge (like the number of calories to consume each day), I'll seek it out. There are professionals who will help guide - over the years I've consulted with my primary care physician, nutritionists, personal trainers, and Weight Watchers. There are books packed with useful information. And don't forget the bottomless hole of information - the internet - which may or may not be accurate. At times it can be overwhelming to sort through and evaluate the validity of the information.

I think one big factor is that people aren't well-educated about health and nutrition. Maybe there are too many "rules" to follow, especially when they seem to change on a monthly basis and contradict each other. People aren't informed about how to effectively read labels and interpret portion sizes (which are often arbitrarily decided on by the food companies). They're misled as to what's considered healthy. When something's labeled as lite/light, reduced fat, or low carb, doesn't that mean it's a better food choice? I've even seen a commercial where a Payday candy bar is being touted as an energy bar, with caramel holding together the protein-rich peanuts. Of course, there was no mention of the 13 grams of fat that accompany it.

How is it possible to develop an effective program for myself when I can't tell if the foundation for that program is solid? I'm a strong advocate of seeking guidance from others. If I see that someone has accomplished something that I'd like to accomplish myself, I'm going to ask about how it was done. Just like an upperclassman might take a freshman under his wing, I may look for for someone to help steer me in a particular direction.

However, if someone is complaining just to complain? Why should I listen? I definitely appreciate the value of a good vent, but when it's the same story every time I begin to question the motivation. Sometimes people bond over their commiseration - "You thought you ate a lot of food last night? Wait until you hear about everything I gorged myself on!" Perhaps it assuages some of the guilt because the other person says "That's not so bad" or "You deserved to enjoy it."

So what do I do when someone comes to me and starts talking about having gained weight, eaten poorly, not exercised, or feeling bloated? I initially have an open mind, listen, and feel out if it's the right time or place to give my opinion. I've got a lot of knowledge that I'm willing to share. While I'm not going to force my thoughts or feelings onto anyone, I'm generally open to a discussion. If it seems like it's a rehashing of the same old story (second verse same as the first!), my ears tune out rather quickly. Who am I to challenge someone's plan to lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks while continuing to eat out several times a week, drink Starbucks, and go to the gym maybe twice a week?

I'll just smile, nod, and be along my merry way.




Food Log:

  • Breakfast
    • 4 egg whites and 2 eggs with salsa
  • Snack
    • Green beans with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and spray salad dressing
    • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • Dinner
    • 4 oz chicken
    • sauteed spinach with garlic
    • 20g almonds
  • Snack
    • Generous tablespoon of peanut butter

Exercise:
  • None today, which was planned. I've exercised the past 6 days in a row and wanted to give myself the day off. I do have exercise planned for the rest of the week (Friday through Sunday), with time for it in my schedule.

Today's Weigh-In: 147.1

1 comment:

  1. Insomnia kept me up - enjoyed catching up on your blog! I used to be vegetarian and people used to take that to mean that I wanted to hear about their "true confessions" with food! So weird, and not at all the case. I was not the "evangelizing" vegetarian...I was more live and let live. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete