Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Breathe!

Ever notice how things always seem to take longer when you're running late? The more you try to hurry through the more likely you are to make mistakes, forget or drop things, and even injure yourself. And chances are you're not moving anymore quickly as a result and may actually move more slowly because of the mistakes and forgotten items.  For me, this type of situation is most likely to strike when:
  • it's the first thing in the morning
  • there's an important meeting to get to
  • it's a deviation from my regular routine
  • I'm already feeling stressed about other things
  • I'm tired, hungry, cranky, or downright irritable
I'm definitely vulnerable to feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Some mornings I feel like I'm drowning beneath all the demands on my plate. All I can think about is everything that needs to get done and all I can worry about is HOW I'm going to get everything done.  When these mornings hit, I probably stomp my feet and flap my arms (my husband and I call this "flailing"), make exasperated noises, and yell at the inanimate objects that aren't cooperating with me. While these outbursts allow me to vent my frustrations, they don't really help.

I've found that if I pause for a moment, close my eyes, and take a deep breath, I'm better able to regain my focus and identify what's really important. Is the world really going to end if I'm a couple minutes late? No, and I could risk an accident or injury by rushing to get there on time. Am I really being more efficient and on-tip of things by trying to multitask my way through the morning? No, leaving my lunch at home this morning is a prime example of that.

"Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff."  A cliche, but one with merit. Everything that needs to get done will get done. Some things can't be rushed. I'm not a superhero and I can't do everything all at once. I need to remind myself of that at times, and also of the benefits of breathing.

Food Log:
  • Meal 1  
    • 2 egg whites with peppers, onions, and salsa
    • 40g oatmeal  
  • Meal 2
    • Light cheese
    • 1oz almonds
  • Meal 3
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 2 tablespoons of salad dressing
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise:  None (planned)


Today's Weigh-In:  144.5

No comments:

Post a Comment