Thursday, February 10, 2011

Come On ... Just One Bite!

Ever have an encounter where someone is encouraging you to eat a treat?  Just a little bite?  What harm could one little bite do?  Well....





I truly doubt that I would explode if I ate that one bite.  Having one cookie or one cupcake isn't going to undo all the clean eating that I've been doing.  I remind myself that the weight didn't go on because of one meal, but because of a pattern of meals.  I'm not against having the treat every once in a while.  What I am against is the feeling of being bullied into having that treat.  I don't "make" people eat a certain way, so why do they feel it's okay to try and coerce me? 

I think a big piece of it is other people's discomfort.   Imagine a group of people sitting around a table with a cake in the middle of it.  What if one person is eating that cake?  It's going to feel like everyone's eyes are going to be on that person, watching each bite as if under a microscope.  What if everyone is eating cake?  No one person is going to feel singled out because everyone's engaging in the same behavior.  We don't have to feel guilty about our choice because we've all made the same choice - we're a team of cake eaters!

Now what if one person at that table turned down the cake?  Is that person going to be examining everyone else's decision to eat cake?  Will that person be passing judgment?  Is that person morally superior or better than everyone else because of not giving in and eating cake?  Of course not!  (I can only speak for me, but I hope other people aren't doing this either.)  However, those people eating cake may FEEL as though that's what is going on.  So, to assuage their own discomfort, they try to recruit others to participate in the activity.  After all, it's not as "bad" if we're all doing it together!  Really, it's not bad at all, it just might be a choice that one person wants to make and another person doesn't want to make.

Again, it all comes back to the fundamentals of respect.  Obviously, it's important to be respectful of  other people and their choices, but I would also advocate being respectful of yourself and your own choices.  As long as your comfortable with the choices you make for yourself,  stay with them and remind yourself that nothing else matters.  You don't have to have that bite, unless it's something YOU want to do!

Food Log:
  • Meal 1
    • 2 egg whites with pepper, onion, and salsa (though it might be more appropriate to report having a bell pepper, half an onion and some salsa with a 2 egg whites thrown in there!)
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2
    • BIG salad
    • 3oz chicken
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
  • Meal 3
    • Apple
    • Light string cheese
    • 1oz almonds
  • Meal 4
    • Salad
    • 3oz chicken
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon peanut butter
Exercise: None (Planned)
Today's Weigh-In: 142.2

No comments:

Post a Comment