Friday, February 18, 2011

Taking Pleasure In The Pain

I enjoy the ache that I often experience the day after lifting weights.  I'm not a masochist, not by any means.  I'm not referring to pain from injury but more the discomfort of tired muscles.  As I move, I'm reminded that I did something for myself - I chose to do something for my health, fitness, and overall well being. 

The ache can be a means for assessing how I've challenged myself.  I can look back at my workout the day before and see if there's a relationship between the exercises and the locations of the aches.  Was there a new exercise?  Did the weight get increased from past weeks?  Is there any connection to my other activities over the past week (cardio, etc.)?

The soreness in my muscles reminds me of how my body moves.  I hone in on my posture and the way I carry myself.  When I ache a bit more, I find myself standing more upright and holding my shoulders back.  I'm also more intentional with my movements, perhaps in anticipation of tight muscles rebelling against the action.

Working out is exhausting and draining, though I consistently feel stronger as a result.  This is somewhat contradictory, given that my body is physically quite weak.  I think it's more a sense of mental strength.  It's an affirmation that I'm capable of pushing myself.  I can work through physical discomfort to get closer to my goals.  I lift weights until my muscles reach their failure point and I take pride in every ache and pain that results.



Food Log:
  • Meal 1 
    • 2 egg whites with peppers, onion, and salsa 
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2
    • BIG salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken 
  • Meal 3
    • Light string cheese
    • 1oz almonds 
    • (I had the apple on-hand but the timing didn't work and the other pieces were enough) 
  • Meal 4
    • Not quite as big salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise: 
  • Time:  45 minutes on elliptical;  30 minutes swimming
  • Level:  Level 8 on the elliptical (not really comparable to machine at home)
  • Calories:  650+


Today's Weigh-In:  143.7

No comments:

Post a Comment