Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Moo!

"I feel like such a cow!"

These words crossed my lips over the weekend.  My husband's response?  "You're not fat!  What are you talking about?"  I gave him a hug and laughed.  "I know I'm not fat, but I feel like a cow.  I'm grazing on green stuff continuously.  I'm producing huge amounts of methane gas.  And I've been making mooing noises in response to some of those annoying commercials on TV."

While this was only one example, it got me thinking about how often people make body-related statements where they're comparing themselves (or others) to animals.  Eat like a bird and you're picking away at your food.  Eat like a pig or a horse and you're eating a lot.  Strap on a feedbag and you're digging into your meal.  You might say you're a big as a cow, a hippo, or a whale.

It's not uncommon to attribute animal characteristics to humans (zoomorphism) - it's a convenient way to convey an idea.  Muhammad Ali is famous for saying "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."  There are online quizzes to see what animal you are.  The Chinese zodiac has a different animal representing each year in the 12-year cycle.  It's such a part of our everyday language that we may not even be aware of using these descriptors.  We may not give a second thought to how they can influence our perceptions.  How often to people describe themselves as 550-lb female year-old bovines who have not yet birthed calves?  But if they call themselves heifers....  When did it become okay for people to put themselves down?  Is there even an awareness of how people degrade themselves with these comparisons?

I try to be conscious of the language I use when describing myself or others, and this includes animal-based references.  I intentionally said I felt like a cow because of specific behavioral similarities, not because of weight or appearance.  (I have a strong affection for cows and don't like to see them involved in any insults!)  Before looking to Noah's Ark for a way to describe someone's appearance or behavior, ask how you would describe that particular animal.  Is it possible to focus on the individual's attributes without alluding to animalistic traits?  And the next time you encounter a cow, pig, or orca, would you describe them by making references to your friends?  Who would be complimented or insulted?

Food Log:
  • Meal 1 
    • 2 egg whites with peppers, onion, and salsa 
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2
    • BIG salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken 
  • Meal 3
    • Apple
    • Light string cheese
    • 1oz almonds 
  • Meal 4
    • Not quite as big salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise: None (Planned)


Today's Weigh-In:  144.2

No comments:

Post a Comment