Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Eating Clean" Defined (At Least By Me)


I use the term "clean" to refer to my eating, but I realize that I've never actually define this term.

According to Tosca Reno, "Eating Clean" is all about eating in a natural way, choosing foods that your body functions best on - lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats.  She has published a number of books on the "Eating Clean" lifestyle.  I've read a few of them and find them pretty useful resources.  There are a bunch of recipes, though some of them involve slightly more "exotic" ingredients that I don't readily have on hand.  The website (http://www.eatcleandiet.com/) is a great place to get started!  The principles of clean eating revolve around eating foods that are as unprocessed as possible.  The closer they are to their "natural" state the better.  This would include steering clear of refined foods (like sugar, white rice, and white flour), sugar-laden beverages (like soda and most juices), and saturated or trans fats.  To keep blood sugars level throughout the day and to prevent hunger, meals are smaller and eaten more frequently - as many as 6 meals per day.

I'll admit that my eating, while pretty close to the overall plan laid out by Tosca Reno and other proponents of clean eating, is not strictly by the books.  I use Splenda and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray.  Instead of straight water, I flavor it with Crystal Light.  I don't eat 6 meals during the day but rather 3-4 depending on timing.  My meals aren't 2-3 hours apart and I probably eat closer to bedtime than Tosca would recommend.  So while I use the term "clean" to refer to my eating, it's probably more accurate to use the term "on plan" because it's not strictly clean.

Food Log:

  • Meal 1 
    • 2 egg whites with peppers, onions, and salsa 
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2
    • BIG salad
    • 3oz chicken
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing 
  • Meal 3
    • Light string cheese
    • 1oz almonds 
  • Meal 4
    • BIG salad
    • 3oz chicken
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon peanut butter
Exercise: 
  • Time:  60 minutes on the elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute, cycling levels (Level 4 for 2 minutes, Level 5 for 1 minute) for 58 minutes, Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Calories:  625+
Today's Weigh-In:  142.8

    No comments:

    Post a Comment