Monday, February 14, 2011

A Distorted View


"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Body image, simply put, is the way in which an individual views his or her physical presentation.  It's amazing how closely interconnected someone's external packaging can be related to the contents of the package, including an individual's self-esteem and self-confidence.  Not only that, but the packaging  isn't always viewed accurately in the first place!  So the influence it has on a person's sense of self can be inaccurate, exaggerated, and out-of-touch.  One study that showed how inaccurate self-perception can be examined the perceptions of women with anorexia.  These women  demonstrated a distorted perception of themselves but were able to accurately assess elements not related to themselves (other people and inanimate objects).  So it's not as though their eyes weren't working, it was the way in which they interpreted personal information that was distorted.

We know that the way we see ourselves isn't always how others see us.  More often than not, we are more critical of ourselves than others.  We nit-pick.  We hone in on flaws.  We make comparisons to others where we routinely come up lacking.  When evaluating oneself, people may not view themselves as being worthwhile unless their physical presentations are up to snuff.  And how often is that the case?  Is it possible to adopt an objective perspective when evaluating ourselves?  Can we separate physical appearance from self-worth?  More often than not, it seems that we can't.

While there are clinical disorders that are defined by distorted body images such as anorexia and body dysmorphia (and muscle dysmorphia), it's not uncommon for "normal" people to have substantially skewed views of themselves.  According to the website www.selfesteemawareness.com, 90% of women overestimate their size by about 25%.  There's also a tendency for women to hone in on a particular body part and see it as being larger than it really is.  It seems like the relationships between self-esteem and self-perception goes both ways.  Lower self-esteem can lead to more negative body image and a more negative body image can contribute to lower self-esteem.

Is there anything to be done to help boost self-esteem and address issues of body image?  There's programs like Dove's Campaign For Real Beauty that emphasize the importance of building self-esteem in girls, separating self-worth from external presentation.  There are efforts in the media to have a more realistic portrayal of people - incorporating a wider range of body types, ages, etc.  There have even been dolls with more realistic body proportions marketed to girls.  But are these efforts really making a difference?  I think they're increasing awareness and they're encouraging people to try, but it seems like such an uphill battle!

What am I doing to take care of my self-esteem and body image?  I try to remind myself that who I am is based on how I act, not on how I look.  I try to focus on what my body is capable of doing rather than what it's capable of fitting in.  I try to emphasize my skills and abilities as opposed to my measurements.  I try to look for the positive in myself and in others instead of getting sucked into criticizing and picking apart.  I try to challenge myself about the assumptions I may make based on presentation and packaging as opposed to falling prey to the messages of marketing (either from the media or a specific person).  I try to nurture and encourage myself instead of criticize myself and pick myself apart.

Am I perfect with these efforts?  Of course not.  I know that I don't have an accurate view of myself and I'm not able to completely separate my physical appearance from my sense of self, but I try.

Food Log:

  • Meal 1 
    • 2 egg whites with peppers, onion, and salsa 
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2
    • BIG salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken 
  • Meal 3
    • Apple
    • Light string cheese
    • 1oz almonds 
  • Meal 4
    • Not quite as big salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise: 
  • Time:  60 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:  Level 1 for 1 minute, Level 5 for 58 minutes (I ROCKED IT!), Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Distance:  5.5 miles
  • Calories: 675+
Today's Weigh-In:  144.2

    No comments:

    Post a Comment