Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Waste vs. Waist



"I'll keep the cookies in the pantry.  I don't want to be wasteful.  They're still good and there's nothing wrong with them."


"I keep seeing the cookies in the pantry.  I'm starting to feel a little hungry and they look so good.  There's nothing wrong with that."

"I'll eat one of the cookies in the pantry.  I'll be good and have just one.  There's nothing wrong with that."


"I kept eating the cookies in the pantry.  Were they really so good?  What's wrong with me?"

We're often taught to not be wasteful.  Who hasn't heard the line - "Clear your plate.  Don't you know there are children starving in China?"  I never really understood how my eating all the food on my plate benefited the children half-way around the world from me.  If I didn't clear my plate, it's not as if the leftovers were going to be mailed to the children in China.  The underlying message was that it was preferable to overeat or to keep food around as opposed to discarding uneaten food.  Is that really the best message to be sending?

When I look at food in the fridge or the pantry, I ask myself if I'm actually going to eat it.  Does it work within my efforts to eat clean?  Will I be more likely to binge on it if I experience a moment of vulnerability?  Is looking at it on the shelf going to feel empowering or tempting?

Given the time, effort, and money that I've invested in my clean lifestyle, do I really want to throw away that investment on a $2 bag of cookies?  That would be truly wasteful!  I give myself permission to let go of the foods that don't support these goals.  That may include taking food into work for my co-workers (though I may still be inclined to sample it myself there), sending food home with friends after a get-together, or simply putting the food in the trashcan. 

It also helps me be more selective about what I choose to spend my money on in the first place.  I may want a taste of ice cream, but is the price of the entire tub worth the taste of a few spoonfuls?  Or am I more likely to have difficulty regulating myself and ultimately work my way through the container?  Instead, what if I went to the ice cream store and purchased the individual serving of ice cream to eat right then?  The portion size would be limited for me and I wouldn't have the temptation of leftovers or the guilt of throwing perfectly good ice cream away.

If given the option between not being wasteful (and having a full waist) or prioritizing my goals (and discarding edible foods), I'm going to make the choices that support me.  Nurturing myself goes beyond the foods I put in my mouth.

Food Log: 
  • Meal 1
    • 2 egg whites with pepper, onion, and salsa 
    • 40g oatmeal
  • Meal 2
    • BIG Salad
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken   
  • Meal 3
    • Apple
    • Light string cheese
    • 1oz almonds
  • Meal 4
    • Salad
    • 3oz chicken
    • 2 tablespoons salad dressing
    • 40g oatmeal
    • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
Exercise: 
  • Time: 60 minutes on elliptical
  • Level:   Level 1 for 1 minute, Level 4 for 58 minutes, Level 1 for 1 minute
  • Calories: 650+
Today's Weigh-In:  143.2

      No comments:

      Post a Comment