Thursday, February 24, 2011

Counting On Accountability

Earlier today, I was talking with someone about the benefits of being accountable to someone.  She noted how after we spoke (which is about once a week), she felt much more motivated to work on her goals and to follow through on the plans we developed.  What would help to maintain that motivation?  Ideally, we'd check-in with each other on a daily basis.  Since that's not feasible, we talked about the benefit of a motivational message (which this blog could provide) or of publicly committing to specific activities (such as how I do through this blog).

Sometimes holding yourself accountable can be uncomfortable, but that can make it all the more important to follow through on that commitment.  I was so impressed by friend and fellow blogger "KimGettingSlim.com" for going to her WW meeting and weighing in despite her struggling to be on-plan for the last month.  It would have been much easier and more comfortable in the moment to avoid the meeting; however, that would have made it much harder to get back on track and to return to future meetings.  WAY TO GO, KIM!

What can be done to increase the likelihood of completing a goal?  

Sharing that commitment with someone else means that they can follow up with you to see if you've kept to your plan.  This is the weekly check-in at the Weight Watchers meeting, the follow-up appointment with your doctor, the food log shared with your trainer, or the phone call to a friend.  I've utilized all these supports and found each of them to be beneficial.

Involving someone else in the activities related to your goal helps a lot too.  I'm much more likely to show up for a group fitness class when I've arranged to meet a friend there.  I don't want to let down the other person, so I'll push myself to meet the commitment when otherwise I might procrastinate, postpone, and avoid.  This evening, my husband and I had committed to meeting at the gym after work for some strength training.  I could have just as easily gone straight home and curled up on the couch, but I didn't want to deprive my husband of his workout. 

There's plenty of ways to build accountability into activities.  Sometimes it takes creativity.  Sometimes it's trial and error to see what works for you.  I think the most important aspect is that the emphasis is on positivity.  I don't want someone to yell and berate me because I didn't meet a goal.  Motivation isn't about the avoidance of punishment and guilt.  

Food Log:
  • Meal 1  
    • 2 egg whites with peppers, onions, and salsa
    • 40g oatmeal  
  • Meal 2
    • Big salad
    • 2 tablespoons of salad dressing
    • 3oz chicken
  • Meal 3
    • Apple
    • Light cheese
    • 1oz almonds
  • Meal 4
    • 3oz chicken
    • Green beans
    • 40g oatmeal
    • Tablespoon of peanut butter
Exercise: 
  • ~90 minutes strength training with husband
  • Calories:  350+


Today's Weigh-In:  144.4

No comments:

Post a Comment